Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Ode to a life-long gardener

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Ode to a life-long gardener

Postby MareE » Dec 31, 2008 10:10 am

Our community gardening donator of land died yesterday. Carman Lewis. Age 96. My maternal grandparents were the first plotlanders in '65 or thereabouts next to his house. Their rented property had too much shade for veggie growing. Mr Lewis is known primarily for his horse and buggy delivering milk but that's when he was a sprout and I wasn't born yet. LOL Other than that, he is known as a philanthropist and good old boy, always with a smile and handshake and stories. He likes me cuz a few Autumns ago I tracked down horrible pilferers of his pumpkins he was growing for kids at his church. grrrrr These were adult women who took off in a BMW.

Last time I saw him was at Garden Closing October 6th and he was wheelbarrowing compost to a bin Town supplied. Not sure if he agreed on disposal of compost, but he sure pitched in. It's his land and there are hundreds of community gardeners who've gardened there who'll miss him more than I can express. Extraordinary person.

No need to reply.

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Re: Ode to a life-long gardener

Postby Eeyore » Dec 31, 2008 6:49 pm

I know you said no need to reply but I hope Carmen Lewis can keep his hands dirty in his second life. I'm sorry for your loss Mare. ((Hugs))
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lulu » Dec 31, 2008 9:50 pm

Ok, MareE, I too know you said no need for a reply, but, feel I must take the time to express my sympathies on the loss of someone who obviously left a very strong impression on you, and more importantly, a smile in your heart. (((HUGS))).
Lulu

Postby MareE » Jan 01, 2009 5:17 am

In my haste to post what Mr Lewis meant to me and a hundred and more community gardeners (which I didn't fully explain) lapsed into incorrect time. Still gum-shoeing that detail! Lyn and Lulu, thanks for replying even tho' I said NOT TO!! laffs Old saw, but you don't know what you've lost till it [he/she] is gone.

MareE;o} grateful for your understanding
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby OGrubber » Jan 02, 2009 10:41 am

MareE,
The best legacy anyone could ask for is that they touched someone's heart and will be missed when they are gone.
I'm sorry for your loss. [[Hugs]]
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby MareE » Jan 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Thanks so much. Many are confuzzled, Inge. Mesel' included. Rumour has had it for a while that the land will become community housing. Community gardening is spreading in GTA. Our bright, visionary director of Markham, Aurora, Newmarket and now Richmond Hill gardens is behind the 8 ball incredibly astutely. By March, there will be a whole new slant on what's to be done in this region. Our director is a wonderful person and has a handle on what's to come, no problem-o.

A little worrit. Don't think I'll be at Plotlands this coming Spring in whatever capacity.

Mary;o}
MareE

Postby joan w » Jan 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Sorry that you've lost your beloved sponser. What a grand man he must have been. You have brought a tear to my eye as this kind of story is getting rarer by the year.

Big hugs,

Joan
joan w

Postby Eeyore » Jan 04, 2009 1:33 am

MareE wrote: Don't think I'll be at Plotlands this coming Spring in whatever capacity.

Mary;o}[/color][/size]

Why is that MareE? You don't think it will be there? I thought that good things were happening with Community Gardens in GTA?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MareE » Jan 05, 2009 1:31 pm

Boils down to location, location, location, Lyn. Cannot justify the cost of busing over 3 hours to maintain a 10' x 20' plot for main reasoning. Due to the explosion of veggie growing as York Region expands, oldtimer gardeners (me only 9 years there) may lose our extra plots to newbies. And I think this is totally fair and I haven't been a one-minute bike ride away since 2005. You know me, editor of local chapter of Procrastinators Anonymous quarterly, sometimes thirdly, letting things simmer on back burner till they kabloom©trish. Correction: Maternal grandparents had their plot in '75, NOT '65. To answer your question feebly, don't know what will happen to Mr Lewis's land.

Joni-Ø (oops, lost our oomlauts again—uh oh) I hope this kind of story won't become rarer. The pilfering is an increasing concern, and why some people drop out. How did it grow at your Plotland©bb last year?

MareE;o}
MareE

Postby orchidguy » Jan 05, 2009 7:09 pm

MareE

Sorry to hear of the loss of a great gardener. Maybe you can plant something in the spring as a dedication to him. I do this all the time,and not just in times of passing. I dedicate gardens to almost anyone I get to know, and when I look at them (the garden) I know there is a small slice of my life that I have made room for the ones I admired.

We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.
orchidguy

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening