Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Carrot storage disaster

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Carrot storage disaster

Postby Northpine » Jan 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Every year I do the same thing. I wash my carrots, dry them, bag them and store them in the crisper drawers in my spare fridge. I don't know what happened this year. They all fermented!
I was so disappointed. They were absolutely delicious this year. However, I had a very small crop. I was late getting them planted and it was a very dry summer, so they didn't grow as well. I'm wondering if they weren't mature enough for storage? Any ideas? I'd hate to have this happen again. I grow them because of the superiority of the flavour, compared to store bought. There is really no comparison.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Re: Carrot storage disaster

Postby orchidguy » Jan 12, 2009 12:34 am

NP

If you have a cool, dark room, try storing carrots in plastic bins or buckets in sand. I store mine in the cold cellar that way, and are never washed till they are used. I also leave the tops on them, find it tends to keep the sweetness
orchidguy

Postby OGrubber » Jan 13, 2009 8:17 am

Marie,
There might have been a "bad" one - one that already had a lesion, and it infected all the others. Sometimes they're hard to spot.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Eeyore » Jan 13, 2009 10:55 am

That's too bad Marie. I'd have to agree with Inge, there must have been a bad one or one still wet when they were stored. I wonder if they smell as bad as rotten potatoes.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening