Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Basil

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Basil

Postby mollyzone5 » Jan 19, 2009 11:30 am

I use a lot of Basil in my cooking and always grow it.Last year I received a paper disk in a seed swap,all it said was Basil.Now I decided to pot this up and I am seeing very good germination with this.Trouble is, the seedlings are not the customary green but in fact purple.I have never used a purple Basil and not sure of the taste.Are these the same in taste as the green or is there a distinct flavor difference? Anyone eat this purple type?
mollyzone5

Re: Basil

Postby orchidguy » Jan 19, 2009 1:36 pm

There are many different basil varieties, some with purple leaves. Many different kinds have different tastes, but all have the undertones of basil. It will have to be a taste test for you to see if it is indeed a variety that you like. One thing is check the shape of the leaves when they have matured. Some varieties have what are known as "sail" leaves and look a bit like a coloured lettuce. If it does, this will narrow your search for what cultivar you are growing. Hope this has helped a bit
orchidguy

Re: Basil

Postby OGrubber » Jan 19, 2009 4:18 pm

Molly, the red basils have a touch of [am describing the taste to the best of my abilities! laf!] cinnamon.

Personally, I prefer the taste of the reds over the green for the "complexity" of taste. They can be substituted for the green in any of your recipes.

If the true leaves look like regular basil [in shape] you will likely have "opal" but if the leaves are larger, with a sawtooth-like edge, it will likely be "purple ruffles".
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening