Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Your favourite veggie gardening books

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Your favourite veggie gardening books

Postby kelly_m » Jun 03, 2009 10:11 pm

MareE wrote:Pshaw. You're being uncharacteristically modest, K whilst the biggest bestest tastiest tomato ever is blossoming as we speak. laffs You're using the "by the square foot" method then?

Mare;o}

Well maybe it is, but I may have to purchase it....Frost warning tonight?! :evil:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby MareE » Jun 05, 2009 3:43 pm

Aigle, I have Jim Hole and Lois Hole's "Vegetables Volume 4. Practical Advice and Science Behind It."©2001 Hole's. Q & A style. Great for quick reference.

You are planning to market your organic produce, then? Way da go!

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby MareE » Jun 06, 2009 8:24 am

Leash! I'm so terribly sorry for addressing wrong person ipreviously. Brainfog occurrence. LOL What do you guys farm or raise? I assume your veggie garden is quite roomy? Somewhere else I welcomed you to CG as if you were a new member but see you've been posting for two years. Again, sorry for my lapse of ignorance. Inge's been a certified organic grower for over 20 years I grow as organically as possible. Confess to using Miracle-Grow on some veggies and no matter what anyway says to the contrary, I don't consider that an organic treatment.

MareE the ALmost purist ;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Mervyn » Jun 08, 2009 5:45 pm

I actually don't own this book , but it's one I've borrowed in the past from my sister and have checked out from the library from time to time.

CARROTS LOVE TOMATOES written by Louise Riotte

It's about companion gardening , something I've been experiment with the last couple of years.
Mervyn

Postby MareE » Jun 09, 2009 8:08 am

Will wonders never cease. Mervyn, I have never seen carrots companioning tomatoes at the community gardens. Why do those two like each other?

Jotting your book choice on library list. Thanks!

K, did that Frost warning come to fruition, so to speak?

MareE;o}
MareE

Postby kelly_m » Jun 09, 2009 9:30 am

Nope...no frost....has been cooler but everything is still re-growing!!!

Well watered too now after the deluge last night....everything is dirty!

Khoping that was the last frost warning till Oct/Nov.......
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby MareE » Jun 09, 2009 10:39 am

Ya think it's too early to charm and flatter Old Man Winter, K? "OMW, you are looking very buff and dapper today! Have you been working out? Love your three-piece. Lagerfeld?" [looks moth-eaten] "Who're you wearing next Season? I'm breathless with anticipation, you tease. teehee"

Wonder if he has a website. For sure the chat 'n' *itch room would be SRO with thousands of port-a-potties provided for miles of whingers waiting in line. hahaha

MareE;o} who actually does love Winter, some years less than other years is all
MareE

Postby kelly_m » Jun 09, 2009 12:06 pm

I don't "hate" winter...I just prefer it too start as late as possibly.......

Kwondering if batting eyelids will cause OMW to arrive sooner than later????
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Mervyn » Jun 09, 2009 2:15 pm

MareE wrote:Will wonders never cease. Mervyn, I have never seen carrots companioning tomatoes at the community gardens. Why do those two like each other?

Jotting your book choice on library list. Thanks!

K, did that Frost warning come to fruition, so to speak?

MareE;o}

To be honest I don't remember :oops:

I actually prefer some other combinations with tomatoes.. I personally plant two rows of Tomatoes, between those two rows I plant Basil and Parsley , I think the Tomatoes biggest contribution is the protection from the sun those plants need.

Carrots I plant between onions and leeks.

The idea of companion planting is all plants have certain advantages over others , they repel different pests, draw or leave behind different nutrients in the soil etc. So the right combination of plants can help protect each other.
Mervyn

Postby MareE » Jun 09, 2009 2:59 pm

K, not only are you RTBurl-esk Queen, but highly skilled at batting eyeslashes. Wouldn't hurt to give them a whirl if you want Winter to arrive "sooner than later" tho' you might have some opposition. laffs

Mervyn, I've always interplanted Marigolds with Tomatoes. This year I'll be container gardening on garage roof and have pots of Basil and Italian Dk Grn Parsley on the go, plus a half barrel of Marigolds sprouting for transplanting to containers for rooftop. Their pungent scent supposedly deters pests and I sure do love the bright colours with the dark greens!

MareE;o}
MareE

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening