Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Your favourite veggie gardening books

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Your favourite veggie gardening books

Postby Mervyn » Jun 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Marigold's are supposed to deter pests , I do plant them as well but not amongst along the plants but outside of the plants to form a sort of protective barrier. They are also nice as they provide early colour for the garden and colour all summer long.

I also think it's good too have some flowers if for no other reason to attract some bees.

Beware however, as slugs do like Marigolds . . but that is not all bad as if there are not too many of them, they will only eat the foliage of the Marigolds and leave other plants alone. You also must make sure to get a Marigold variety that has a smell, some don't and they won't work.

And according to this site http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html#MARIGOLDS: apparently they don't get along with beans . . I've never planted beans so I don't know :)
Mervyn

Postby Leash » Jun 11, 2009 12:44 am

MareE,
Sorry for not replying sooner I missed your questions to me, and no worries about your ignorance! (just kidding). I have had an account on this forum for 2 yrs but just this spring decided to become hardcore like some of you. It's hard work keeping up with all that goes on, on here as I'm not much of a computer person. But you guys are so fun and a wealth of info, I'd like to make some friends that I have something in common with. It's a little lonely out here on the farm I must say!
My husband does the cash cropping (soybeans, wheat and corn) and I do the livestock and veggies (or try with 3 small children) We're really in the baby phase of that right now. I just started out by wanting to grow as natural food as possible for my family to eat and it's just snowballed by word of mouth. We now grow free range chicken, eggs with omegas from pastured hens, and natural beef. I grow organic veggies in 14 raised gardens my husband built for me but it's definitely not enough room and I always run out of produce to sell. The demand is huge but I have a lot of learning to do so I'm not trying to expand too much yet.
From one of your comments I gather you must participate in a Community Garden somewhere MareE? Do you take any pics of it? Sounds interesting.

I have the "Carrots Love Tomatoes" book too and by the same author, "Roses love Garlic". I found them both really interesting to read and got them at Lee Valley.
Alicia
Leash

Postby MareE » Jun 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Leash, do I have pics? Oh yes, and they're practically the same year after year. lol Here's a few from last Summer, my last year as community gardener. Y'see, when data was transferred to new iMac in October 2008, all files made it but ALL my photo folders, 4 years worth. Literally thousands of hours of scanning became history. But as I said, they all look the same except for first year, 2000, when I grew by seat of pants literally and figuratively. Actually, it was best year. (I have my theories about that fact.) Why don't I get a digi, you may ask? Don't! LAFF Gotta learn how to burn.

NICE farm you guys are running. Gratifying that folks are finally getting into buying fresh and local. Nothing sadder than seeing farmland bulldozed for cookie cutter housing causing ecological and environmental mayhem. As a current suburbanite (who lives in development that was primo Ontario farmland 5 decades ago) I have no higher regard than for our farmers who love their land so much that hard work and economic worries of the times, the sleepless nights involved— well the commitment is staggering to an urban veggie gardener like me.

Lots of people here who get lonely due to whatever circumstances and make CG forums home away from home, common binder being love of growing things and writing about them. Posting pics. Yeah, go "hardcore", Alicia! That's funny, hardcore. laffs Count me as one of your new friends. You're my fave kind of "gardener". Wouldn't matter if you were a grouchy-grouch. Your profile sez you're a domestic goddess. Lawdy, you'll have the the non-hausfraus types ;o} who need a boot to derrieres buffing their appliances and cooking homemade in no time. LAFF! BTW, is every other year sufficient to clean out the fridge. kiddink

Where was I? Mervyn, I grew borders of Marigolds alongside Tomatoes as well. Come dreaded Closing Day mid-October, I dug them up along with ornamental kale and brought them home to pot up to brighten sombre dying front garden.

Happy, satisfying growing and reading all! Thanks for posting fave gardening bibles. Oh, the pics aren't in chronological order. In one or two, one would think I was growing more fleurs than veggies. That will be true this year. snufflesniff

MareE;o}
Attachments
Marble Cake Cat #2 10_08.jpeg
Beans Comi' Along 06_08.jpeg
4 O'Clocks & Sunflowers 09_08 1.jpeg
CukeBermConstructionSiteSide.jpg
CukeBermConstructionSiteSide.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Birdhouse,Pepper,Butternut,1stSunflowerJuly12.jpg
Birdhouse,Pepper,Butternut,1stSunflowerJuly12.jpg (22.53 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Leash » Jun 13, 2009 8:02 pm

MareE,
That's horrible about losing your scanned pics. I'd just want to cry!!
That garden looks huge. How many in the community are involved? Very nice to have other people who love gardening to work side by side with. You'd help others and learn a lot too I suspect.
Alicia
Leash

Postby MareE » Jun 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks for the condolences for lost pics, Alicia. As urged by a few people here, I will burn scans to DVD in future. Oh well, re-scanning will keep me out of trouble for a few Winters to come. LOL

Last year I think there were 90 to 100 plots roughly 10' X 20'. I had three plots, total 660 sq ft. Sadly, I didn't return this year. Would've been my 10th year, but due to increasing popularity of "growing your own", the York Region Food Network had no choice but to downsize everyone to one plot apiece. I couldn't justify the cost to get there three times a week when sowing's underway. I used to live a 4-minute walk away from Plotlands©~bb, but now it's 25 minutes by gas guzzler. Yep, community gardening is wonderful for learning different methods, and for sharing advice and seeds with people new to veggie growing and/or Canada, and to make good friends. We all have the same soil to amend, the same pests and weeds, and of course the same weather. Biggest problem, aside from the odd personality conflict, is theft and vandalism by pests of the two-legged variety. sigh

Thanks for your interest, Alicia. Really miss the land, the songbirds, the peaceful early mornings and twilights, and working with most (there truly are some nimrods and compost-disturbers as in any large group of people haha) fellow veggieheads.

MareE;o}

Oh, and the middle kid in your avatar sure is a tall one! kiddink Nice shot!)
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening