Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Blackberry

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Blackberry

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm

The first year I only got a handful of fruit from my thornless blackberry (I know I was supposed to take off the blossoms and not let it fruit the first year but I just couldn't). The fruit wasn't that tasty either - so I was a little disappointed. Well this is the third summer since I planted them and a lot of the fruits are huge and are super delish!! (especially if you pick them when they are warm from the sun!) I only put compost around the bushes and I prune them back because they do grow fast & furiously! Also I find it is important to not jump the gun and pick them before they are REALLY ripe - there's more flavour when they are really ripe! I also have them in an area that I have made a frame and netted so I'm not sharing them with the birds!! - I have my strawberries in this "netted area" too!
RubyTuesday49

Postby Jersm » Sep 05, 2012 1:28 pm

yeah i might just plant some thornless, the wild black berries i found are very good eating.

however, they do have small thorns but its still quite managable. My legs were a bit itchy from all the scratches walking in a field of black berries.

the size seems the varie depending on the plants size. I got some decently big ones from the older plants.
Jersm

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 05, 2012 9:29 pm

My thornless - Triple Crown - are super! They don't sucker and there isn't even a teeny prickly hair on them - they are SMOOTH!!! I was gob-smacked at the size of some of the berries this year - HUGE - and they were so yummy!! They are relatively easy to control - I just cut them back! Last year they were OK - but this year - WOW!!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Jersm » Sep 06, 2012 6:46 pm

sounds delicious i can picture them now. :mrgreen: I will plant some for sure next year if i can find the thornless at local stores. im sure they carry them though.

I LOVE mixing black berries, raspberries, straw berries and blue berries together with a little cream and sugar.

mmmmmmmmmmm :mrgreen:
Jersm

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 07, 2012 12:11 am

Wild thorny blackberries can be a major PAIN - not just from those darn thorns! They send up suckers. I am so impressed with these thornless ones. Mine are "Triple Crown" (from Art Knapp) and they don't sucker either. This is the third year and they are by far bigger and way more flavour than the first two years!! I should have kept record of how big the yield was - I will try to next year. The two bushes are about right for our family (3), as we also have raspberries & strawberries. We are thinking that we may need to get another freezer!! LOL
RubyTuesday49

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Sep 25, 2012 2:31 pm

The Blackberry I have gotten is supposed to be hardy. It survived last winter, but did not flower or fruit. Keeping fingers crossed to see some action next year. :) I am so envious about the thronless variety!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 25, 2012 11:50 pm

Ouch! I didn't realize Calgary is Zone 3!!! We're Zone 6 (southern interior BC) - I was supposed to remove the blossoms the first year but didn't have the heart. I only got a handful. But the next 2 years they have been amazing! (some of mine were 1 1/2" long and wider than my thumb) I put in a drip irrigation system and it sure is great. I used to live in a Zone 3 (central interior BC) and a fellow I knew had blackberry plants there. (unheard of there) He said he really babied them for the first few years - protected them from the winter, and they eventually adjusted to the climate and produced fruit. So hang in there, protect them in the Winter, and make sure they get adequate water in the summers. - they should be in good sun! Good luck!!
RubyTuesday49

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Sep 27, 2012 10:26 am

Well, we are actually between 2 and 3, depending on the neigborhood. One thing I do not lack is sun... Yep, I covered it for the winter last year. heck, this year I am covering raspberries too. Speaking of which I need to pick up the next batch... good year for raspberries.
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 27, 2012 10:09 pm

Wow, Elena - as I said, I'm really surprised about your zone - I had no idea!! With the Blackberries, just continue to baby them and protect them for the winter - once they harden off and acclimatize, I'm sure you will have berries. I put compost around mine too. Good Luck!!! Look forward to hearing about your bounty next summer!! ;-)
RubyTuesday49

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening