Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

grapes

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

grapes

Postby northernrose » Jun 26, 2011 9:08 am

Anybody else growing grapes in Zone 2? I have some Valiants and some Betas. I've read they can grow like crazy and cover a trellis, but I have one that's now three years old and it is still very small. Could be location It only gets about four or five hours of sun daily.

Michelle
northernrose

Re: grapes

Postby Eeyore » Jun 27, 2011 10:16 am

Most likely it is the location. Grapes like a lot of sun.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby beesknees » Jun 30, 2011 6:38 pm

hello I have three grape vines beta valiant and concord...the concord is doing terrible.
but the other two made little clusters of, well i think they are flowers, for the first time and i am in zone 2 you just have to grow them on the south wall, mine are about three feet tall this year. people say to cut back to the snow line but i just lay the entire vine down and and cover with mulching. Also grapes have three stages of buds i cant remember the name for it. they have the main fruit buds secondary fruit buds and leaf buds if the primary and secondary buds get damage it will only grow leaves when the leaf buds get damage it dies.
beesknees

Postby northernrose » Jul 02, 2011 9:27 am

Good to know. Thanks. This one is in a very sheltered location, but perhaps could use more sun. Everything back there is full fun, and it's so sheltered, I grow a lot of much warmer zone shrubs and perennials. They're always first up and thriving in spring. I haven't really done much with that grape though. It gets some mulch for some winter protection. This year, I put five Betas up on my deck, where it is full sun and HOT. I have another five valiants going into the front yard, also full sun, but very exposed, so they'll need some serious winter care.
Michelle
northernrose

Postby beesknees » Jul 02, 2011 6:54 pm

wouldn't it be nice to see all those grapes just hanging all ripe and delicious.....I started getting fruit fever a few years ago on a trip to vancouver island its just loaded in grapes peaches and passion fruits even seen a lemon tree......so now i planted the three grapes three pears three dwarf apples five evans cherries two wescot apricots, brookgold plum
and a large plot of those new pink blueberries.....they all did good over the winter.
In the house we have a dwarf pomigrant a blood orange and a calomondin orange they are by far my favorite plants everyone is amazed when they see a orange
beesknees

Postby Eastonn » Apr 24, 2012 12:31 am

Grapes is very important for our health, there are lots of vitamin and also lots of protein the benefits, of the grapes it is in the possibility of lowering one kilo and half in only three days if it is that there follows, a rigorous diet in which principally grapes should be consumed.
Eastonn

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening