Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Gave up on Organic: WHAT do I need for Currants

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Gave up on Organic: WHAT do I need for Currants

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jul 22, 2011 10:52 am

and where to get it?

Okay, despite desperate spraying of the red/white currants with garlic-oil-hot pepper mix, I still got the bloody currant fly eating all my berries. Stupid worms. So, no more organic dilly-dalling for me. I want chemicals that actually WORK to keep the currant flies at bay! What do I need and where do I get it as an individual gardener next year?

Please, do not recommend compost tea, I cannot make that because it takes more equipment and dedication I am willing to put in.

Thank you!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Re: Gave up on Organic: WHAT do I need for Currants

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 22, 2011 11:36 am

I wish I had the answer for you but I don't. So I researched on the internet a little and came up with these helpful websites for you :

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forum ... php?t=3768

http://psyche.entclub.org/19/19-139.html

:)

CdnChelsea

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 22, 2011 12:11 pm

You can try pyrethrins or insecticidal soaps. Where are you located? You need to read up on which pesticides are safe to use on edibles.

If the currant bush isn't very large, I would be tempted to cover it with a row cover...that might prevent the fly from laying eggs on the fruit. I did read that it is important to pick up any dropped fruit and disposing of it, thus preventing further generations from overwintering in the soil.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jul 22, 2011 3:12 pm

I do pick the dropped fruit (with the birds' enthusiastic help; they probably consider the worm to be something like a raisin in the pudding).

I am in Calgary, Alberta. I have a powder of some sort, but it's hard to cover the plant with powder (it doesn't spill easy from the container). I will see if I can get pyrethrins, I have never looked into that.

I was wondering about covering the bushes with the cloths, but I think they are too large for it now. :(
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Countryboy » Jul 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Somebody once popped a link into this forum to Kootenay Covers. They're made to keep flies out.

I had to go back and search it out again 'coz I was lookin' for something for my cherry tree.

I could have sworn that somewhere in this site they mentioned row covers too . . but I can't find it now. :(

http://www.kootenaycovers.com/Kootenay_ ... /Home.html
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jul 23, 2011 8:18 pm

you put the powder into an old salt shaker?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jul 24, 2011 5:34 pm

The powder is very fine and it is in a tube with a very small openning. I doubt I can easily transfer it?

I checked out the Kootney covers website, but my currants are maybe 2 feet, so 12' covers will be an overkill, and it looks like they do not ship?

(Sigh) just finished an unenviable task of picking the whole lot into a garbage bag before it starts falling off the shrub. Maybe I should just throw a towel and put raspberries there. Apparently even black currants got the worm. My mom doesn't have the problem in BC. It must be Albrerta?
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Mar 13, 2012 9:02 am

Okay, I am going to give my currants one more year.

The plan? Keep spraying while in bloom with pepper-garlic and the organic insecticide I have, and then, as soon as the berries form, I am going to Walmart and buying cheapest muslin cloth, and wrapping my shrubs into it like modest brides. If fruit fly wins after that treatment, well, than the currants are out.
Elena Zimmerman

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening