Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

ant hill in tree roots

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

ant hill in tree roots

Postby beesknees » Jul 29, 2011 10:31 pm

I have 2 big evans cherries in my yard side by side, one is not doing so good for some reason...upon inspection i noticed a ant hill right at the base in the roots of the tree, Could this be the problem..I'm not sure because everyone says ants are good for airation of the soil but considering how good the tree next to it is doing with no ants, i'm a little suspicious of that.
Could someone advise me in a way to get rid of them without hurting the tree...THANKS
beesknees

Re: ant hill in tree roots

Postby Smitty » Jul 29, 2011 10:37 pm

not so good with trees .but have always been told ants are good...ant hills are not...I'd try pouring baking soda/sugar mix around before I tried chemicals.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Re: ant hill in tree roots

Postby Countryboy » Jul 30, 2011 10:36 am

U can drive ants to a new location simply by flooding their nest area. Park a hose on it overnite and set it to just a trickle, or whatever volume u need to completely saturate the nest.

It won't hurt the Cherry Trees at all. They really can't get too much moisture.

Best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening