Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Bitter Spinach

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Bitter Spinach

Postby Eeyore » Aug 15, 2011 10:20 am

I've got lots of spinach in my garden and it's going bitter. We had a cool, wet July and then it turned hot and dry. The spinach hasn't bolted yet and I'm wondering if the smaller leaves would still be OK or if it would all be bitter at this point.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Bitter Spinach

Postby CdnChelsea » Aug 16, 2011 5:25 am

You are so lucky to still have spinach, Eeyore. Mine bolted a long time ago.

Maybe you could pick one of the smaller leaves while you are in the garden and taste it to see if it is bitter. Hopefully you can still salvage some.

:)
CdnChelsea

Postby B_BQ » Aug 16, 2011 9:28 am

Lyn: Also, if you were to blanch the leaves would that take out some of the bitterness? You could then quickly stir fry with a little olive oil and garlic, and a couple of chilli flakes or freshly grated nutmeg!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Aug 16, 2011 10:20 am

Chelsea - it's a variety that doesn't bolt in hot weather.... not that we've had much of that this summer!

Brenda - I will try that. I've also read that some vinegar or lemon juice will cut the bitterness. I'm also going to blanch and freeze some for use in the winter.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MatthewWilliam » Oct 06, 2011 8:23 am

Spinach is a widely known vegetable. Is it because of the famous character "Popeye the Sailor"? In Japan, there are no families without spinach dish on their dining table. Spinach is probably one of the best healthy leafy vegetables since it contains high level of iron compared to other vegetables.Nutritional value of spinach per 100 g:
Carbohydrates 3.6 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Dietary fiber 2.2 g
Fat 0.4 g
Protein 2.9 g
Folate (Vit. B9) 194 µg 49%
Vitamin C 28 mg 47%
Vitamin E 2 mg 13%
Vitamin K 483 µg 460%
Calcium 99 mg 10%
Iron 2.7 mg 22%[/list]
Spinach is a rich source of iron. It is the reason that it is considered as an herbal medicine for anemia in China. It is also considered as a good herbal medicine for gout and kidney stone.
MatthewWilliam

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening