Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tommytoes 19 August 2011!

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Tommytoes 19 August 2011!

Postby B_BQ » Aug 19, 2011 7:44 pm

I had to find the energy to pick a few of the ripening tomatoes today. Some were falling onto the soil, a few were half eaten by squirrels I presume, but certainly enough to fill this basket.

In no special order:

Cleota Pink - massive, heavy, pink
Black Russian - Medium sized - dark and smoky
Yellow Pear - Bright yellow and great for snacking
Italian Noire - Dark, small, Roma
Paul Robeson - medium/large dark smoky
Constoluto Genovese - Medium-to-Large, mottled skin, heavy and firm
White Zebra - great eating tomato
Red Zebra - -ditto-
Black Zebra - -ditto-
San Marzano - elegant elongated Roma
Bonnie Best
Lemon Cuke
Jalapeño - turned red
Edited in to add: Also Schwarze Sarah and Gold Dust!

These are the three I chose for eating tonight:

Constoluto Genovese; Paul Robeson; Bonnie Best
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Tommytoes 19 August 2011!

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 19, 2011 11:54 pm

Nice crop, Brenda. I am so happy my tomatoes are healthy this year. Had blight for the first time ever last year. It has been a much drier year for us and I no longer water from above, so that must help prevent some fungal diseases.

What does the Constoluto Genovese taste like? Yours looks less ribbed than the images on the internet. What is your largest tomato (plant-wise) this year? I have a Black Krim and a Sun Sugar that is threatening to take over the entire garden! They are easily six feet tall.

My self started tomatoes might be a bust this year. I have some fruit, but they much smaller than the purchased starts...might not have enough time to grow this season.

I just wanted to add that I tried your seed saving tip (drying the seeds on parchment) and it works fabulously! No more prying seeds off paper towels!
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Aug 20, 2011 7:36 am

Hi Donna:
The Constoluto Genovese shown in the pic is quite a small sample. It was pretty ripe on the vine so I picked it before something else picked it for me! Last year the Constoluto Genovese were much bigger, and slightly more ribbed, but still with the speckled skin. It's a nice tasting tomato.

The Paul Robeson is dissimilar to Black Krim, could be slightly smaller, but this was the first picked as it was ready; others may be larger or smaller. Again, a great smoky taste, but not that much different from Black Krim or Black Russian.

Most of my tomato plants are shorter and bushier this year! I put them in the ground late so they got off to a late start. They're producing pretty well though. They're so much easier to take care of when they're shorter. Normally, by this time all the plants have grown nearly 6' tall and are intertwined with each other. Messy!

I think the tallest plants this year are San Marzano as always, but shorter than in previous years.

I think your idea of watering from below is a good one. Until a couple of years ago I used the Lee Valley perforated spikes which attach to a large pop bottle, and would water each individual plant very deeply. Took a lot of time for me though so I stopped using them and used the sprinkler system instead. I think watering them from the soil down is the best way to go.

Glad the parchment paper tip works for you. Inge gave me that tip! :)

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Aug 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Where did you get the yellow pear? Neng had those last year when I visited her and they were delicious!

What do you do with all the extra tommies?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Aug 22, 2011 7:05 am

Eeyore wrote:Where did you get the yellow pear?

I've been growing Yellow Pear for more than 10 years! I save seed each year. Let me know if you would like some. They're easy to grow and produce well. A great little snacking tomato.

Eeyore wrote:What do you do with all the extra tommies?

Eat them!!!! :roll: It's difficult sometimes. Lots of tomato salads though.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Aug 22, 2011 12:46 pm

I freeze them in their skins and use them in sauces. Of course they need to be drained once they thaw out.
I would love some seed Brenda! :D
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Aug 22, 2011 1:24 pm

I don't freeze the tomatoes I grow. We prefer them fresh. Each tomato variety has such a unique taste.

However, I do buy generic Roma in large quantities from a local farmer, and freeze those for use in the off season!

Will save some Yellow Pear seeds for you. You can let me have your snail mail address sidebar.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby OGrubber » Aug 23, 2011 8:37 am

Well done, Brenda!
My cherrys are producing well, but the beefsteaks are just beginning to colour up.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening