Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Patty Pan Squash

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Patty Pan Squash

Postby Eeyore » Aug 23, 2011 12:42 pm

When are these ready to pick? The ones on the bush are getting to be a good size but are a pale whitish green. Are they ready to pick?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Patty Pan Squash

Postby OGrubber » Aug 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Bennings Green Tint?
All of the pattypan varieties can be eaten from the moment they develop and the blossom drops to very large, just as zukes can be.
My preference is when they measure about two inches across the top. The seed cavity hasn't really developed yet, and the flesh is not overly watery. Once they get large, the skin toughens up and they are very moist. I usually deseed and stuff the large ones to bake or grate them into another recipe, while the small ones are great grilled on the bbq or sauted in a little oil.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Re: Patty Pan Squash

Postby Eeyore » Aug 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Actually I don't know the variety since they are at a friends garden and she doesn't know what kind but you are probably correct. I guess I ahve some picking to do. :D
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening