Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Weird Tomatos

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Weird Tomatos

Postby CdnChelsea » Sep 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Last year I was given a huge, ripe, red tomato from a friends neighbours' garden. I saved the seeds and then in the spring I planted the seedlings in a garden I never water but it is heavily mulched. To my surprise, the tomatoes have started to ripen and they are massive. Some of them are really weird looking too. They look like they fused together when they were growing:

IMG_0009.JPG
CdnChelsea

Re: Weird Tomatos

Postby Eeyore » Sep 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Did you nice any fused flowers when they were developing? I've seen this more on the heritage varieties than the hybrids. It just makes for some interesting carving when you slice 'em up!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby CdnChelsea » Sep 02, 2011 5:30 am

Yes, Eeyore. I did notice some of the blossoms were odd looking but just figured they would produce large tomatos not the strange looking ones. Most of the tomatos are normal looking. Thank you so much for solving the mystery of why they joined together. And yes, they are heritage tomatos.

Another thing I am so surprised about is that they developed and ripened so early. I was thinking since they were going to be big tomatos, they would take longer to ripen. I am definitely saving some of these seeds for next year.

If anyone wants some seeds, please email me. I would be more than happy to share.

:)

CdnChelsea

Postby B_BQ » Sep 02, 2011 8:08 am

I grow quite a few heritage toms and have noticed that the larger varieties, i.e. Cleota Pink, Schwarze Sarah, Brandywine, often produce odd-sized, odd-shaped tomatoes. They still taste just as good though!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Sep 02, 2011 10:45 am

We had an Ugly Fruit nontest a couple of years ago and had some odd veggies posted then. I love these Heritage varieties and have found that they produce nice big, tasty toms that ripen earlier than most of the bigger beefsteaks that you see so often. I have no room to start anything ahead of time right now but once I get my basement back I'll be ordering seeds from Inge. I really want to try her lemon cukes and may try to squeeze some of those in next spring but as of right now she doesn't have any seeds on her website..... :(
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Sep 02, 2011 10:58 am

Eeyore wrote: I really want to try her lemon cukes and may try to squeeze some of those in next spring but as of right now she doesn't have any seeds on her website..

I have a few Lyn. Let me know after you've checked with Inge.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am

I'll do that Brenda. I'll drop Inge a line and see what her plans are for next season.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » Sep 02, 2011 11:43 am

Those look like some varieties of "beefsteak" tomatoes Dad grew when I was a youth. Tomatoes of those days were pretty much all "heritage" varieties; not many hybrids then.. The fruit may have had lots of misshapen oddities and blemishes, but the flavour was far superior to virtually all the hybrid and so perfectly formed tomatoes of today.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby B_BQ » Sep 04, 2011 1:44 pm

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on this thread to show what I think is a good comparison of heirloom/heritage tomatoes, which come in all shapes, colours and sizes - just like humans! :roll:

I was deadheading today and came across a tomato plant, which I had grown from seed, in its original small pot. I hadn't had the heart to throw it out, and put it near an arbour at the other end of the garden. I noticed a big splash of red buried in the depths of green just now, and was astounded to come across the biggest Brandywine I have ever grown! It's in its original 4" pot and had been left to its own devices. There are another couple of huge tomatoes on the same plant not yet ready for picking.

~BBQ

The Brandywine, a Bonnie Best, a large egg, an Italian Noire and a Yellow Pear:
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening