Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Delicate Potato Skins

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Delicate Potato Skins

Postby stvdc » Sep 01, 2011 3:12 pm

It's my first year growing spuds, and things are turning out quite fine. However, when I dig them up and wash them up the skins pretty much come right off. So...

What am I doing wrong? Should I let them dry out for a bit first?

We've got a lot of clay in the soil, so they sometimes come in really caked with mud, which prompts the immediate cleaning.

Any advice?
stvdc

Re: Delicate Potato Skins

Postby Eeyore » Sep 01, 2011 3:29 pm

Potato skins need time to set. If you leave them, in the ground for 2 weeks after the tops die they will set nicely or leave them sit without washing for a week or so and then wash them for storage.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby stvdc » Sep 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Oh well, look at me doing everything wrong. I'm digging when the leaves start to die & then consuming that day. And they taste awesome, but I miss my skins. Guess I can try being patient.
stvdc

Postby Eeyore » Sep 01, 2011 5:47 pm

MMMM! I love new potatoes which is essentially what you are eating. Bake them or BBQ them and you'll still have "skins"
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby stvdc » Sep 01, 2011 6:50 pm

I gave them the lightest cleaning my ham fists are capable of and baked them with a light coating of olive oil & sea salt. Very nice, and the skin was definitely there.

But I took all the extras that I pulled up today and put them in cold storage for a week or so as per your advice. Thanks.
stvdc

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening