Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Fruit trees

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Fruit trees

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Sep 09, 2011 9:57 am

My young Pembina is doing great, but my multigraft Plum is beset by aphids for the second year in a row to such an extent that growth is stunted. Should have hunted down the companion Red Brooks Plum harder, instead of going for the multigraft. I think multigrafts are weaker trees maybe, so the predatory bugs sense it?

I also am a HUGE fan of sour cherries!

For me preserving is mostly about freezing, since I try to be sugar-free, so apples and pears are an inferrior option. But if you can can or make jams, those two are great, particulary seeing that you are in the nearly tropical (by Canadian standards!) Zone 5!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby beeman » Sep 09, 2011 9:15 pm

My new apricot seems to be a greenfly magnet. I just make up a spritz bottle of 'Insecticidal soap' fixes them every time.
Summer pruning is a good idea as removing new growth at that time minimizes available space for aphids.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby MatthewWilliam » Oct 06, 2011 8:18 am

Apples and peaches and pears, oh my! Gurney’s offers only the best, easiest-to-grow fruit and nut trees available – no matter how much growing room you have. Small indoor trees let you enjoy exotic fruits in the most northern locations. Larger orchard trees are perfectly sized and come ready to plant. In no time at all, you'll be harvesting sweet pie cherries, crunchy pecans and hazelnuts for butters and breads and juicy plums for easy eating.
MatthewWilliam

Postby Lulu » Oct 06, 2011 8:54 am

Mathew,,Gurney's is an awesome website, but they only ship to the USA? Where are you located?
Lulu

Postby klr650teach » Nov 08, 2011 11:47 am

Squasheater, you may wish to consider a crabapple in your choice as well just for good measure. They are usually very winter hardy and produce abundantly. The fruit are delicious and are naturally high in pectin.

On the farm growing up, most everyone had a crabapple tree and the fruit were blended with all sorts of things when making jams and jellies because of the pectin in the crabapples. Crabapple jam/jelly is very very good on its own as well. Crabapple wine is also very good.

I didn't see anyone else suggest it so thought I would. They are not popular out west here but on the prairies they sure are as they are one of the few fruits that can be grown because of the cold cold winters.

Teach....
Penticton, BC in the Sunny Okanagan Valley. Zone 5a
klr650teach

Postby Nadwin » Mar 16, 2012 3:16 am

I am quite sure that your zone is suitable for the plantation of both Plum and Pear. As Donna mentions though, check what you plan to buy and see if you are going to need a pollinator.
Nadwin

Postby carolzz » Mar 16, 2012 11:50 pm

[url]http//www.cidly.com[/url]
DonnaZn2SK wrote:As far as I know, you need two of each tree in order to produce fruit, unless you have a neighbors that have the fruit trees nearby. Check to see which fruit trees are self-pollinating if you don't have the space.

I have one Pembina plum tree in my yard (my neighbor was to plant the other one in her yard, but they moved away). This plum sets fruit but it aborts most of it. I had about 12 plums from it this year. Also consider the pollinating times for each variety (fruit trees bloom at different times) for optimal pollination. Make sure you pick a plum that has canning qualities. My plum tasted great but it has a really tough skin and loose flesh.

I'm in Saskatchewan, so can't advise where to buy plants. However, I think it would be best to spend as much as you can afford in order to get healthy plants that will give you fruit sooner rather than later.

is well idea
carolzz

Postby Douziech8 » Apr 29, 2012 9:14 pm

I live in Alberta and want to plant a plum tree. I am thinking of a Pembina and either a Mount Royal or Brookred or Brookgold. If the latter trees require a cross pollinator, will the Pembina (a self-pollinator) do the trick? Or do I need another (third) tree? Will different varieties of plums cross pollinate each other or do they have to be the exact same tree ?
Douziech8

Postby Eeyore » Apr 29, 2012 11:00 pm

if a tree is self pollinating you don't need a second tree. Some trees ar better pollinators than others so the best thing to do is either research or ask a reliable greenhouse what they recommend. Personally I would do the research first and then ask a reputable dealer for advice.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 30, 2012 1:27 am

Douziech8 wrote:I live in Alberta and want to plant a plum tree. I am thinking of a Pembina and either a Mount Royal or Brookred or Brookgold. If the latter trees require a cross pollinator, will the Pembina (a self-pollinator) do the trick? Or do I need another (third) tree? Will different varieties of plums cross pollinate each other or do they have to be the exact same tree ?

Lyn's right about contacting a nursery to help with the selection. You need two plums that bloom at the same time in order to have decent fruit production. I have a Pembina and it was recommended that I get a different plum to pollinate it (rather than getting another of the same variety).
DonnaZn2SK

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening