Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

over wintering beets

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

over wintering beets

Postby curlysue » Sep 27, 2011 10:41 pm

has anyone here ever over wintered beets? my son is coming home from out west in november and I would like to show him how to make pickled beets ,can I keep them that long?
curlysue

Re: over wintering beets

Postby davefrombc » Sep 27, 2011 10:57 pm

They should be fine if you can keep them cool and dry, but with high humidity to prevent them from drying out . A good old fashioned root cellar would be ideal . Keeping beets require same conditions as carrots, parsnips and potatoes
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby curlysue » Sep 27, 2011 11:26 pm

thank you dave going to give it a try with peatmoss!!
curlysue

Postby Eeyore » Sep 28, 2011 11:06 am

Depending on where you are you could also leave them in the ground until he arrives.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby klr650teach » Nov 08, 2011 11:38 am

This reply is probably too late but I have had great success with overwintering beets, carrots, parsnips etc. using wood shavings and sawdust.

The trick I find is to start with your wood shavings. I like to get a big bag full that will be enough to do all my veggies that I am going to store and start adding water to the shavings. I ad about a liter of water per day----mix----then close up the bag with a twist tie and leave till the next day. I keep repeating this till the moisture is just right. When is it just right? When the shavings are evenly moist but not wet. Moist shavings will have a slightly cool feeling to the touch.

If you screw up and ad too much water, just leave the bag open overnight and then stir and mix again. Repeat if necessary.

Place a layer of shavings in a cardboard box the depth of a beet. Leave at least 1 to 2 inches of top on the beet and don't cut off the long root stem. Place a layer of beets on top of the sawdust ensuring that the individual beets don't touch each other. Then place another covering layer of sawdust.. Repeat until the box is full or you run out of beets. The last and final layer is always the shavings as a protective cover. They should be good till april or may if everything is done with care.

When harvesting for storage, I dig my veggies and take great measures not to nick or cut the veggies outer skin. If this happens the veggie will spoil and rot on you. If you don't catch it on time it can spread and cause the whole box to go rotten and thats just not fun. So when I harvest I pull what I'm going to freeze and I dig what I am going to store in shavings.

Teach
Penticton, BC in the Sunny Okanagan Valley. Zone 5a
klr650teach

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening