Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pickles. Which are best for Dill?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Pickles. Which are best for Dill?

Postby Dumbo » Feb 07, 2012 12:46 am

Hi,

So I ordered all my seeds online this year (I usually just buy plants in the summer).

When it came down to pickling cucumbers I didn't know what to get. So I just chose the one named Eureka for no reason at all. But, it's still quite early to get my hands on different ones.

Maybe someone here knows which is/are the best pickle(s) type I should get for making Dill Pickles?

Thanks. :)
Dumbo

Re: Pickles. Which are best for Dill?

Postby Eeyore » Feb 07, 2012 11:10 am

I don't know much about cukes but I'm sure you are pretty safe with any that are labelled pickling. It just depends on how big you like your dills and how spiny. If Inge checks in I'm sure she'll be able to tell you. :)
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby OGrubber » Feb 09, 2012 12:48 pm

As Lyn said, any variety labeled as "pickle" is a safe bet. They none of them get as long/large as a field slicer.
I looked up the variety you chose, and apparently it has a very small seed cavity [this is good]. It's a white spine type which generally means they're a darker green than the black spine types, and they maintain their colour as they mature, whereas the black spine types fade to yellow as they mature.
As far as harvesting; any size is good for pickling, it just depends on how large you want them and how much of a seed cavity you want - the smaller [younger] the fruit, the less seed cavity, and the more "crunch" after processing.
With the variety that you chose, it'll be a little harder to see when they are over mature though, so I would keep an eye on them and cut one open now and again to make sure you're not leaving them on the vine too long before processing - they grow fast.
Have fun and.... Keep you're eyes open, they're hard to find under all that foliage. laf

editing in to add;
Eureka, apparently has good tolerance to all of the cucumber diseases so that is a bonus as well.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Feb 10, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

OGrubber wrote:the smaller [younger] the fruit, the less seed cavity, and the more "crunch" after processing.

This is basically what I am after. I did dill pickles once and they came out kind of crunchless and soft after canning them (the kids tossed them at me). And yes, when I did them the first time they were not very young. Some very big even (over-sized) with lots of seeds.

Thanks a lot for the tips! I will keep my eye on this. I didn't know this (i'm a newb). I figured it was the type I used.

So the trick to all this is in the age of the pickle? Is that what gives them that "snap" or crunch?
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Feb 10, 2012 11:20 am

[Nice kids. laf]
I hesitate to say definately, because the process and many other things factor in, but generally speaking, yes, the age of the cucumber makes a difference. The more seed cavity and less flesh wall, the less crunch.
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Feb 12, 2012 1:19 am

Thanks for the info.

If the kids toss them at me again this year... well... I will blame you ;)

Will let you know in fall if I get another pickle concussion. But I think you pretty much nailed what I did wrong.

TY!
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Feb 12, 2012 9:20 am

Oh-oh.
Forewarned and all that.... laf
OGrubber

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening