Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Dumb Bean Question

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Dumb Bean Question

Postby Eeyore » Feb 18, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm looking at "Painted Lady Runner Bean" seeds. Are these beans edible like green beans or do they need to be shelled and just the seed part eaten? If the pods are edible when should they be picked?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Dumb Bean Question

Postby Dumbo » Feb 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Per http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=319, Young pods can be eaten whole, or the beans can be eaten fresh or dried. Even the flowers are edible.

per http://www.halcyonplants.co.uk/index.ph ... ct_id=1327, Pick beans as small as you can. Do not leave the beans on the plant after they reach 25cm as thay will be tough.
If there are too many to eat freeze or compost the excess to encourage further fruiting.
Dumbo

Postby Laura » Feb 18, 2012 8:51 pm

As far as I know you can eat the pods but you must do this early because they become very tough pretty quickly.I only grow runners as flowers but my mom did use the beans when dried.She used them mostly as you would lima beans.

I pick off the flowers and most of the pods,I just keep a few beans to grow the next season.
Laura

Postby orchidguy » Feb 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Lyn,
The Painted Lady is an heirloom, and seeds saved will grow true the following season. They have a sweet pod, so are good when picked young and eaten, and IMO are better than dried. Saying that, I have dried them in the past, but were really no better than the bagged dry beans you can buy for next to nothing at the supermarket.
As with all runners, pick often even if not needed, so the plant will keep producing until frost,
orchidguy

Postby Eeyore » Feb 19, 2012 1:24 am

Thank You very much everyone. I'll order some seed then and give them a try.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lulu » Feb 19, 2012 10:15 am

For yellow beans, that are stringless, and great to eat fresh off the bush or cooked up, I had great success last year with "Pencil Pod Black" beans.
Lulu

Postby Eeyore » Feb 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Yellow beans are my favorite Lulu. I'll try those ones. I'll be making a seed order soon. Are these heavy producers?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » Feb 19, 2012 2:13 pm

I prefer the purple beans that turn a deep green when cooked; but enjoy all the yellow and green beans fresh or pickled.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lulu » Feb 20, 2012 12:41 am

Eeyore wrote:Yellow beans are my favorite Lulu. I'll try those ones. I'll be making a seed order soon. Are these heavy producers?

Yes they produce fairly heavy, Lyn, for about 3 weeks, so, I planted two 10 ft rows, then, a few weeks later, two more rows, for a continuous supply for myself, my friends & family & freezer.
Lulu

Postby OGrubber » Feb 20, 2012 10:13 am

Lyn,
In my experience, none of the runner beans are as prolific as bush types, so if you are big bean eaters I'd suggest planting more than you think you'll need or add a back-up of bush beans.
Also, as others have mentioned the runner types need to be harvested young to avoid them being too "stringy".
They do look beautiful on trellis supports.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening