Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Trap Cropping and flowers for Benificial insects

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Trap Cropping and flowers for Benificial insects

Postby Mervyn » Jul 26, 2013 3:27 pm

In my experience, I generally plant white radish with my Squash, and the radish plants do get eaten, but usually the squash plant is left alone.

I planted Fennel once. It ended up bolting so I decided to let it so I could collect the seeds, it was amazing how many different flying insects this plant attracted.

I pretty much always plant some marigold amongst my veggies, but mostly for aesthetics than anything else, but having a plant that blooms all season is useful for attracting pollinators.
Mervyn

Postby Donavann » Mar 13, 2014 4:29 am

Well the possibilities, of your little spot of wild flowers illustrating the dreaded ticks is near zero.Even in the forest, and areas that may be near you the possibility of you or a pet being attacked, and contaminated by a Lyme holding mark is very low.
Donavann

Postby Justanotherider » Mar 14, 2014 12:00 am

I haven't used trap cropping much; but have used eggplants as a trap crop for potatoe bettles with some success. I have since learned to plant my spuds a bit later in the season to avoid the beetles; but I would consider other trap crops if I had a particular insect problem to solve.
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby Donavann » Mar 19, 2014 4:31 am

Donavann wrote:Well the possibilities, of your little spot of wild flowers illustrating the dreaded ticks is near zero.Even in the forest, and areas that may be near you the possibility of you or a pet being attacked, and contaminated by a Lyme holding mark is very low.
Donavann

Postby barmer » Mar 23, 2014 2:40 am

Flowers are nature’s best gift so you have to take care of them. You can easily get beautiful flower baskets through online shopping of different varieties at affordable prices.

Send Flowers to Bangalore
barmer

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening