Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Container Gardening, too soon?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Container Gardening, too soon?

Postby Eeyore » Mar 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Awesome news P! Sounds like you are doing everything right and you'll probably have mor perrers than you know what to do with.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Container Gardening, too soon?

Postby OGrubber » Mar 21, 2012 11:38 am

Dumbo wrote:I only know what I read. Having said that, I read peppers should only be hardened off or placed outside when the temp in a min of 18.

15C.. 18C... Is it a big deal? For some veggies it apparently is since the temp will cause different biological process within different plants (such as bolting with a temp diff of a few degree's below 15)..

The experts all agree - or at least all the ones that I've read - that peppers are extremely sensitive to lower temps. At what stage of their lifecycle? They don't really say. What I come away with is that "anytime" is what they're meaning. It will/can supposedly prevent blossom set/fruit set.... The hardest thing to do is to try to encapsulate all the different variables that trigger reactions in every different variety of veg. Much easier to give you guidelines in areas where you actually can have some control.
However. My peppers, both hot and sweet, are subject to temp fluctuations from +5C to +35C from the get-go and the only time I have actually seen any repercussions due to temps is during blossom set. They tend to abort, as do tomato blossoms if there is a prolonged cold snap [or extended rains] during that time. They have also always recovered - we are speaking of indeterminate varieties here. Please though, I'm not suggesting anyone leave their seedlings out to freeze their little nubbies off. My situation is a little different than most others.
Bolting, is usually a combination of maturity and day length followed by a change in temps... most often seen in spring plantings of cold weather crops. And there are always exceptions. laf
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening