Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

New project for Easter Weekend

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

New project for Easter Weekend

Postby Heidi S » Apr 07, 2012 10:43 pm

At Christmas I bought the stackable, raised bed corners from Lee Valley. Now that the snow is almost gone from our Veggie beds, Hubby and I are going to spend the next two days reframing 3 of our 4 4x10 ft boxes. The 4th will be left alone as it houses the asparagus roots and I am NOT moving them!

We are going to replace the wood at the same time - we have PT 2x8s screwed together in butt joints and the boxes are pulling apart. The wood is in good shape but the metal corners are made for 1x8s, so we will use the old wood for something else eventually.

By stacking them, the beds will be higher and I won't have to bend over so far which is good for my creaky back. I want to remove the PT aspect as well, as I have heard that those chemicals leach into your soil.

I priced out cedar planks, and ended up buying spruce - 3 times cheaper!

Meanwhile we have replaced a broken roof vent window panel on our greenhouse. When I bought the kit 5 years ago, we had a minor problem with the roof vent panel, and the company replaced it. We kept the 'defective' one behind the shed as a back up. Last winter, a wind ripped the vent off its moorings and we have had a gaping hole since. Now that we have replaced it with the 'slightly defective' one, we are at least able to keep the snow, rain and cold out. So, with the installation of a space heater, we will be able to get it up and running in the next week or so and start loading in the new hanging baskets, pots and tomatoes.

Yippee! Now that is my definition of Spring starting!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: New project for Easter Weekend

Postby Dumbo » Apr 08, 2012 6:23 am

Heidi S wrote:I priced out cedar planks, and ended up buying spruce - 3 times cheaper!

LOL That is what is stopping me from doing it raised at the moment as well.

The cost of the cedar is super-inflated!

I was going to go with a soft wood pine or other but I know I would change it out within a year to cedar so I didn't bother wasting the money.

I'll just go non-raised for the time being till I can score some imperfect planks returned to the lumber yard.

This may also be a lower cost alternative for you. The cedar planks are super $, but they knock the price down by a lot when a warped or imperfect one is returned in order to get rid of it.
Dumbo

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening