Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

time for potatoes yet?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

time for potatoes yet?

Postby thistle » Apr 08, 2012 3:38 pm

I have read that potatoes should be planted early,but just how early does that mean?The Garden is in great shape and ready to go,as am I :lol: can't wait to get my hands in the Dirt.
thistle

Re: time for potatoes yet?

Postby kelly_m » Apr 08, 2012 5:24 pm

I think potatoes will be fine for you! By the time they sprout, frost will be done....and besides...they are root veggies!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby davefrombc » Apr 08, 2012 5:36 pm

You should be safe planting potatoes now .Late frosts may nip early sprouts , but potatoes are pretty hardy. Small potatoes and pieces missed in gardens in the north/central part of BC where it can hit -40 and deep snow survive the winter to volunteer when the white crap is gone and the ground thaws out..
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby thistle » Apr 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks Dave,that news has made me very happy. I have been itching to get started,unfortunately I believe we have rain headed our way so I may have to wait a few days yet.
thistle

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Have you been able to buy seed potatoes? I checked at my local seeds store and they won't be in for another couple of weeks.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Heidi S » Apr 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Just poked my spade into the veggie beds again - about 5 inches down and I hit ice. So No spuds going anywhere yet.

I bought a kilo of fingerling seeders at the Seedy Saturday in February, and have them sitting in the basement keeping cool. I guess I could bring them up and chit them now. I grow mine in large pots as I have had scab in the veggie beds, but the pots still are frozen solid to the ground. Once I can break them free I will move them into full sun to melt them completely.

I really need to get a soil testing kit and check on my NPK levels this year and I think I will need to use some micro-nutrients in addition.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby thistle » Apr 10, 2012 10:53 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Have you been able to buy seed potatoes? I checked at my local seeds store and they won't be in for another couple of weeks.

I have had my Seed Potatoes for a couple of Weeks now, I got them at our local T.S.C. Store in Stratford.The are sprouting like crazy now.The Ground in in great shape and I am hoping to get them in the Ground thus Weekend.
thistle

Postby thistle » Apr 10, 2012 10:55 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Have you been able to buy seed potatoes? I checked at my local seeds store and they won't be in for another couple of weeks.

I have had my Seed Potatoes for a couple of Weeks now, I got them at our local T.S.C. Store in Stratford.The are sprouting like crazy now.The Ground in in great shape and I am hoping to get them in the Ground this Weekend.
thistle

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening