Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

2012 Vegetable & Varieties Grow List

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

2012 Vegetable & Varieties Grow List

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 10, 2012 8:30 pm

What are you growing this gardening season? Here are mine.
Tomatoes:
Black Krim
Black From Tula
Black Zebra*
Paul Robeson*
Japanese Black Trifele
Cherokee Purple
Black Cherry
Sungold
Isis Candy
Sweet Baby (a red cherry)
Mortgage Lifter
Gold Dust*

Will buy plants of Big Beef (for my salsa) and one SunSugar, because I can't find seeds for it. Can you tell I like black tomatoes?

*Thanks Brenda

Peppers:
Giant Marconi
Jalapeno

Beans:
Derby

Peas:
Sugar snap - I bought some garden inoculant to help improve my yields, they've been bad the past few years.
Green Arrow (last year's seeds)

Potatoes:
Viking, a change from the Caribe I grow every year. Tried Purple Russian last year. Yuck...will never grow again, what a waste of garden space.

Cucumbers:
Cool Breeze
Muncher
Diva
Sweet Slice Hybrid (last year's seeds)

Carrots:
Nantes, as usual

Lettuce:
Salad mix

Beets, zucchini, and some herbs to round off the list. I actually bought some dill seeds this year! Never thought that would happen, but my dill was horrible last year...aphid food.

How about you?
DonnaZn2SK

Re: 2012 Vegetable & Varieties Grow List

Postby kelly_m » Apr 10, 2012 8:45 pm

LOL! haven't even thought about it!!

I guess for tomatoes....brandywine and a plum...don't know which. I like to have a couple of cherries to munch on!

carrots...I will try, yet again even though I have NOT had luck here. I usually grow Nantes as well.

Potatoes....red
yellow waxed beans.

cukes, long 8's I usually get, but might go with a lemon this year as well.

Haven't decided on corn yet, and may pass on the peas. lettuce, well, more goes to seed than gets eaten so.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Apr 10, 2012 10:10 pm

I'll list what I have going, but won't mention the specific name of them cuz then I would have to read the labels.

Tomatoes:
3 types
-Grape tomato
-Big Beef
-Super Marzano (something like that)

Carrots:
3 diff types

Beans (bush/pole):
Green 2 types
Yellow 2 types
Purple
Sugar Snap

Pea:
Little marvel

Cucumbers:
6 diff types
Lebanese
Burpless
Something- short bush
Straight 8
Eureka = Pickles
Hyb. Magic

Peppers 8 types:
Chilli
Sweet Banana
Hot Hungarian
Cayenne
Jalapeno
Habanero
Some Asian one
Cherry bomb
I *think* that's it.

Radish (2 types)
Cherry
French

Onions

zucchini

Herb/spice:
No clue what I have. I have most everything (standard stuff) except Rosemary. Haven't started any of these yet. Waiting for a bit warmer weather since I'm out of space in the house.

Likely a few things I forgot about... like different lettuces, chards, etc...

Not sure if I'll do beets. No one eats those things. I put them in the garden for others to pick usually. No clue if I'll have room for them this year.

I've never grown corn, garlic, potato or any heirloom types.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Apr 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Donna: You're well ahead of the pack this year! I'm cutting back on tomato growing this year and have whittled down to:

Schwartz Sarah
Elongated San Marzano
Green Zebra
Black Zebra
Brandywine
Italian Noire
Bonnie Best
Paul Robeson
Gold Dust

Seeds were planted on 5 April under grow lights.

I also saved seeds from an amazingly hot Jalapeno pepper plant bought at the local parking lot nursery! Seeds planted under grow lights on 5 April too.

I'll be growing assorted lettuces in pots and also some annual herbs.

I'm not bothering with potatoes this year as it's so easy to get our favourite varities in the supermarket now. Agree with you about the Purple Russian - dry and powdery and not worth the bother.

I've had so-so success with carrots, but will probably try Nantes again. There's nothing quite like, (apart from tommytoes), pulling up fresh carrots, giving them a quick rinse, and cooking and eating them, all within 15 minutes!

Hope you enjoy the Gold Dust. We found it outstanding.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 11, 2012 12:09 am

Brenda,
I love having potatoes growing in my garden...a quick supper is always at hand. I've been lucky, haven't had much problem with potato beetles. If I did, not sure whether I'd be as gung-ho about them.

I forgot one tomato variety on my list but it won't let me edit. It's an orange one called persimmon. Hopefully I have a long enough season for all these heirlooms I'm trying.

I've always liked Nantes because they stay tender. I remember trying Chantenay one year and they were horrible, tough core and not tasty at all...probably more for shipping than for flavor.

Have you had much luck with germinating peppers? I tried a store-bought jalapeno last year and it didn't work. I bought a pack of seeds this year.

Dumbo,
Do you have a large garden? Sounds like you are anxious to try a lot of different veggies! I only grow vegetables that taste much better than store-bought. I no longer bother with broccoli and onions, etc.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Apr 11, 2012 12:42 am

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Dumbo,
Do you have a large garden? Sounds like you are anxious to try a lot of different veggies!

Nah. Not large.

I just happen to have 2 extra gardens, aside from my own, that I will dig up when the rain decides to stop.

The in-laws are on in their years, so to speak. Enjoy gardening, enjoy looking at it, but have trouble doing the work now.

So while it's all way too much food for them, I do the work and watering and the mother-in-law picks out the weeds to stay a bit garden-active. While the father-in-law enjoys showing "his" work off and eating the fresh stuff.

Every year they say they can't do it anymore. Every year I start it for them and they love it. Keeps them active. Keeps them happy. Keeps them doing small things to stay active.

It's also a small social thing for them as well. People go over, then they look everything over with their cups of tea and enjoy a bit of the outside while forcing everyone to fill up on bags of veggies. heh.

At their house alone, I plant enough to keep a min of 5 families in veggies for the summer.

So they enjoy it...

I plan on doing the same here, but I want to play with canning this year for the heck of it and just to try it.

DonnaZn2SK wrote:I only grow vegetables that taste much better than store-bought. I no longer bother with broccoli and onions, etc.

Yeah, I don't bother with broccoli. But the onions I am trying for the first time are a type of small pearl onion for canning. Never tried it before so I figured why not.

If I had known about this forum sooner I would have asked everyone what I should plant that is different than store bought. But it's too late now. I looked over OGrubbers webpage and collection of tomato's. So if i'm still alive and kicking next summer I will likely buy a grab bag from her to try them all.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Apr 11, 2012 4:42 pm

So I have the seed packets in front of me that I haven't planted yet. So this will fill in the gaps of those where I didn't know the name, plus it will add some.

Onion
(mentioned I have the pearl canning ones)
+ bunching Onion, Red Barron (I think this is like shallots, not sure)

Carrot:
Nante
Navarino
Mignon
A seed tape from last year with various coloured carrots (purple, yellow, white etc)

Swiss Chard:
Gazelle
and some sort of new peppermint kind the seed company tossed in at no charge

Lettuce:
grand rapids
mesclun mix
Two Star

Chive:
Regular
Garlic

Spinach:
2 types, can't find the packages.

Basil:
Greek
Large leaf Genova
a Small leaf one. Left over from last year

Parsley:
Italian organic
Regular one from last year

Rosemary
Tried growing it this winter. No use. All dead or didn't come up.
Will buy this plant.

Dill

Mint

Summer Savory

Thyme

Plus more in the "last year" box I have kicking around some place.

The herbs and lettuce I plan on putting in planters and a salad tray to make room in the garden.

Guess it is a lot when I look at it... But I have none of those nice tomato's the people above are bragging about ;)
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Apr 11, 2012 4:53 pm

kelly_m wrote:carrots...I will try, yet again even though I have NOT had luck here.

Weird eh. When I used to live just outside Montreal, Bell peppers would come up plentiful and HUGE.

Ever since I moved in the Ottawa valley, Bell peppers don't work, AT ALL. You get the odd tiny thing. One or two per plant.

I don't know what it is. Has to be either something with soil pH, or the type of plant they sell in this area is different than those outside Montreal. I gave up on Bell peppers here. No use. And people in this area that I know who grow them have the exact same tiny one or two peppers. So it's an area wide thing.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Dumbo,
Make sure you harvest that mesclun mix when they are young...I let it get too big and it looked like one monster weed patch. :shock:
DonnaZn2SK

Postby kelly_m » Apr 11, 2012 5:43 pm

marc, the funny thing is, I used to live a mere kilometre away! Pretty much the same soil conditions, though it would for the most part, be sandier here...which is ideal for carrots.....Hmmmmmmm

You do know you need to harvest at least 5lbs of pearl onions to get any amount of pickled onions??? And peeling them.....FUN!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening