Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

2012 Vegetable & Varieties Grow List

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: 2012 Vegetable & Varieties Grow List

Postby Dumbo » Apr 11, 2012 6:06 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Make sure you harvest that mesclun mix when they are young..

Yup. OGrubber even gave me a better idea for lettuce boxes than what I was going to make.

kelly_m wrote:You do know you need to harvest at least 5lbs of pearl onions to get any amount of pickled onions??? And peeling them.....FUN!

Nope. No clue. I have 200 seeds i think (or 300). Dunno what that will give. Peel them? Nope, didn't know. Didn't even think about it. Now I know.
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Apr 11, 2012 6:22 pm

If you do decide to pickle onions, I have the best ever hands down no arguments recipe. It came from my deceased ex-mother in law. very labour intensive at the beginning, but well worth it in the end!

Don't know how many onions that'll get you either...take into consideration germination rate too (meaning not all will germinate).
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Apr 11, 2012 6:32 pm

oh yes. I plan on asking for some canning recipe's.

Last year I followed the standard stuff for pickles, hot peppers and beets (out of the Bernadine book). But it was too strong in vinegar for my liking.

I have two hot water canning kits and and now a pressure one since I read with pressure you don't have to go heavy on the acid side like you do with the boiling water method.

So I have no good recipes for anything at all.

As for germination rate. Everything I planted so far from that seed house came up 100%. I was planning on not much coming up, like store bought stuff. Boy I have more than what I planned for. All came up. There is the odd one that looks weak or small (like one or two per type of pant ), but nothing to complain about.
Dumbo

Postby Lulu » Apr 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Only planting what grows well, here:
TOMATOES, TOMATOES AND MORE TOMATOES: probably 3 or 4 of each plant.

Kumato (seeds from grocery store tomatoes)
German Johnson
Cherokee Purple
Bigger Boy
Better Boy
Brandywine Black
Schwarze Sarah
Oxheart
German Strawberry
Believe it or Not
San Marzano
Trophy
Black Krim
Italian Heirloom
Mortgage Lifter
Silvery Fir Tree Tomato
Did I mention I love tomatoes?

Will plant a few english cuques-telegraph, I think, from cheater plants, and will plant a few herbs, for salsa, in pots. Oh, and some sugar snap peas for munching in the garden.

Won't bother with beets, onions & potatoes and carrots; I can buy them from local farmers in the fall for dirt cheap! I can use the space for more flowers!
Lulu

Postby kelly_m » Apr 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Dumbo wrote:oh yes. I plan on asking for some canning recipe's.

Last year I followed the standard stuff for pickles, hot peppers and beets (out of the Bernadine book). But it was too strong in vinegar for my liking.

I have two hot water canning kits and and now a pressure one since I read with pressure you don't have to go heavy on the acid side like you do with the boiling water method.

So I have no good recipes for anything at all.

As for germination rate. Everything I planted so far from that seed house came up 100%. I was planning on not much coming up, like store bought stuff. Boy I have more than what I planned for. All came up. There is the odd one that looks weak or small (like one or two per type of pant ), but nothing to complain about.

At least the onions don't take up much room....relatively speaking!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby OGrubber » Apr 12, 2012 8:44 am

There are going to be some amazing gardens happening this season! And LOTS of salsa! laf

Donna,
Let me know how your isis candy taste. I dropped them out of my collection years ago because they were supposed to be sweet [super sweet, if I remember correctly] and my seed stock kept giving me wishy washy tasting ones. If yours taste anywhere near as sweet as the black cherry, I'd be willing to trade seed with you.

Lulu,
Is that german johnson a red?
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 12, 2012 10:48 am

Inge,
That's not good news about the Isis Candy! They are on so many "grow" lists (like Sungold), that I thought I'd give them a try. I know some people don't like sweet tomatoes, but that's what I prefer; I would be disappointed if the taste were insipid. I'll certainly let you know when I get ripe fruit.

My Black Cherry toms had tough skins last year...was it due to the growing conditions? I grew it in a pot...don't remember them being that way the other year...
DonnaZn2SK

Postby OGrubber » Apr 12, 2012 11:18 am

It could have just been my original seed source, Donna. According to everything I've ever read about them - review wise - they are supposed to be outstanding. ...

Not sure why you had tough skins last year. That certainly isn't a normal trait for the black cherry. Could have been a weather related issue, but I really don't know.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Lulu » Apr 12, 2012 1:13 pm

OGrubber wrote:Lulu,
Is that german johnson a red?

No, Inge, it's a pink, with yellow shoulders; it's one of the parents of Mortgage lifter; great flavour, few seeds.
Lulu

Postby orchidguy » Apr 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Tomatoes this year, the same as every year, but usually buy a few plants of newer varieties to try

Sweet Millions
Bicolor Mortgage Lifter
Graham's Good Keeper
Ildi
Black from Tula
Orange Banana
Basinga
Prudens Purple
Booster
Sweet Pea Currant
Debarao
Arctic Blum
Brown Grape

And a variety that grows like Ox Heart, but a great tasting tomatoe. I brought the seeds back with me from Italy about 20 years ago, and even the wonderful woman I got them from said this variety had been in their family for generations and knew nothing more about them.
orchidguy

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening