Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Planting where white cedars removed

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Planting where white cedars removed

Postby Raw penny » Apr 18, 2012 11:22 am

I am planting a new to me veggie garden. The previous owner removed a white cedar hedge @ 5 years ago, put in some topsoil and said the only thing she had success growing was tomatoes. Any suggestions to amending the bed? I am in Ottawa in an area where the soil is ordinarily alkaline, but I suspect her problem was acidity from the 20 years of cedar.
Raw penny

Re: Planting where white cedars removed

Postby kelly_m » Apr 18, 2012 11:26 am

Not sure of the exact science of the whole thing, but yes, you will still be dealing with acidic soil. Cedars being cedars, have a roots that will not decompose for a long time. In ten years, you will could probably dig up that area and find all sorts of bits of cedar!

You would have to amend the soil....something with hi nitrogen...although I believe I have read that Lime is good for neutralizing acidity.
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: Planting where white cedars removed

Postby Dumbo » Apr 18, 2012 11:45 am

The bigger garden centres may perform free basic soil tests. pH, Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium. I *think* this coming Saturday it's free on the Gatineau side at a place called Emery (or it was this past Saturday, I don't recall now).

If not, then walmart sells the basic test kit for around 8$.
Dumbo

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening