Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

LF cucumber support ideas

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

LF cucumber support ideas

Postby belinda_mayer » Apr 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Does anyone have any ideas (pictures would be great) of how to support cucumbers? I don't find the vines get very long, maybe 6-8 feet, so I'm not sure how to have them grow up something so that the cucumbers don't lay on the ground and become curved.

Thanks,
Belinda
Ottawa
belinda_mayer

Re: LF cucumber support ideas

Postby davefrombc » Apr 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Do a Google search on " cucumber trellis". Right on first page of hits is "Images for cucumber trellis" click on that for 14 pages of pix.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lulu » Apr 18, 2012 10:12 pm

I use regular tomato cages, and the green velcro gardening tape to attach the vines; works like a charm! Had an english cukes last year that were about 2 ft long,,and strait!

P.S.:
Actually got the velcro tape (50 or 100 ft?) on a Christmas clearance,,for about .50c per pkg; guess they sold it to be used for garland? Works for me!
Lulu

Postby johnjf » Apr 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Here a trellis I just made yesterday for my cucumbers that I'll be growing this year.

I got the ideas from pinterest. You can check out my pinterest gardening board which has a bunch of gardening ideas I like here . http://pinterest.com/johnjrfisher/gardening-ideas/

Here's some images where I got the ideas from and couple other trellises

I got the sticks from my dads except the one going right across which I cut down from across the road. Don't mind the snow, I just took the pic today and that's how our cheap weather is here close to North Bay :twisted: really hating the snow right now.

Anyway the netting was bought at the dollar store which was nice and cheap. Get lot's of good things there for gardening.
I'm a freelance web designer/front-end developer who loves the outdoors
Follow me on Pinterest http://pinterest.com/johnjrfisher/
johnjf

Postby Dumbo » Apr 20, 2012 6:32 pm

I've always just put the trellis thing straight up. Not on an angle.

But, I've been reading that if you put it at an angle like you are doing you can use the shade from the cukes this way to grow cooler weather stuff like lettuce w/o it bolting. Or radish

Any truth to this? Anyone try?
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Apr 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Those trellises look great. Good idea to put them on an angle.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby johnjf » Apr 21, 2012 8:31 am

One thing you might want to remember is to tell the kids that it's not a soccer net lol :lol: I can't wait to see the cucumbers all over them.
I'm a freelance web designer/front-end developer who loves the outdoors
Follow me on Pinterest http://pinterest.com/johnjrfisher/
johnjf

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 21, 2012 9:25 am

Dumbo wrote:I've always just put the trellis thing straight up. Not on an angle.

But, I've been reading that if you put it at an angle like you are doing you can use the shade from the cukes this way to grow cooler weather stuff like lettuce w/o it bolting. Or radish

Any truth to this? Anyone try?

I do know if you give shade to lettuce/spinach/swiss chard all afternoon, they have a longer growing season.
By giving my lettuce etc. morning sun and afternoon shade results in harvesting the leaves until late July. In September, I start new seedlings for a fall harvest.
lettuce.JPG

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby belinda_mayer » Apr 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Great ideas everyone thanks. I like the thought of putting them at an angle and planting underneath, I didn't think of that.
belinda_mayer

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 02, 2012 9:40 am

This looks fantastic. I wish i was handy enough to make a structure with pipes and stuff, but it's going be all about plastic sticks and twist ties in my case. Well, that is if cucumbers actually grow!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening