Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

A big Hello/Introduction and a list of my veggies =)

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: A big Hello/Introduction and a list of my veggies =)

Postby Dumbo » Apr 20, 2012 8:54 am

Nah.
Mine's better.
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Apr 20, 2012 8:56 am

Lmao!! Sorry Adam...you heard him....and Marc's opinion means absolutely everything!

:roll:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby OGrubber » Apr 20, 2012 9:33 am

Hi Adam, welcome!
Sounds like you will have a great garden this year.
Isolation wise for seed saving, the solanaceae need 5 to 15 feet between varieties of type - 15 being the prefered, and the beans [if I remember correctly] need about 150 feet between varieties.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby davefrombc » Apr 20, 2012 10:32 am

The plant breeders/ hybridizers hand pollinate flowers of plants they want to propagate . Self fertile species can just have their own pollen used if breeding true, and to produce a hybrid , pollen of the desired related cross is used. Then the fertilized blossom is covered to prevent insects or wind cross pollination of the flowers.. I don't know what the recommended separation of varieties is to reduce or prevent cross pollination is in field crops of seed producers.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am

So how does one know if the seeds they buy are true and not some cross-breed?
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Apr 20, 2012 11:19 am

You don't . You have to take it on faith and reputation of the seller.
davefrombc

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 20, 2012 12:16 pm

OGrubber wrote:Hi Adam, welcome!
Sounds like you will have a great garden this year.
Isolation wise for seed saving, the solanaceae need 5 to 15 feet between varieties of type - 15 being the prefered, and the beans [if I remember correctly] need about 150 feet between varieties.

150ft??!! Ack!
Hmm, any idea how muddled up my saved seeds would be if I planted all of those different beans? Is it a matter of hybridizing them over the course of a few years or is one season all it takes? Do pole beans cross with bush beans (I assume they do)? I might shelf some of the fancy new ones I got and just grow the proven Kentuckys since they taste great and really pump out a harvest.

And, side note: you are Clover Roads Farm?? That's crazy, I sort of found you on the net this winter but sadly it was right after I had made an order from SSE for a lot of new heirloom stuff to try. I was excited to find someone in Hagersville since I'm a Cayuga boy myself and my wife's farming family is all from Hagersville. I told myself I was going to order from you this winter!! Hope your spring prep is going well and you're coping with the lack of rain.

Cheers,
Adam
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby OGrubber » Apr 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Did I scare you? Sorry.
I did a reference check on those beans. They generally self pollinate before the flower opens so the liklihood of x-pollination is very slim. Occasionally it does happen however, so you might see some hybridization happening in the odd saved bean. Don't shelve your fancy beans, go for it, just try to keep them apart a bit to be safe...

Yes, that's me. Wow! Small world, eh?
It's a little too dry for my liking. Usually I'm complaining that it's too wet to get into the fields, but that's not the problem this year for sure.

editing in...
Meant to say that I generally only grow green bush beans. I tried poles one year about six or seven years ago, and as it happened, it was a really windy year and the supports had to be put back up after blowing down three or four times that season so packed that idea in. laf
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Fantastic! I will just cross my fingers on the bean purity then I guess. Besides, if it tastes good then I don't really care maybe I'll even come up with my own variety lol. I love happy accidents.

You're probably a great person to ask this! Do you know of any grass-fed beef/free range chicken farms in this area? We're getting a big ol freezer this year and we're thinking about making the move away from supermarket meats. I'm going to start looking for something local that is pasture raised, drug free and all that. Still trying to educate myself as I go along on the subject but it's a frightening and fascinating one for sure. I want to be able to buy an order and nibble away all year or something like that.

If you ever need a spare farmhand let me know! :P
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby davefrombc » Apr 20, 2012 1:23 pm

If two related species are able to hybridize, the first years seed will be a mix of the genetics of the parents and may or may not look and act like either of the parents.
If you look on seed packages of say , hybrid tomatoes, it usually states whether it is an F1 hybrid or not F1 hybrid means 2 pure strain tomatoes were crossed to produce the seed. The seed companies are very secretive of what two parents they used to create the hybrid seed , so it would be very difficult for others to copy their hybrid.
Plant seed from two hybrid parents and you never know what your plants and fruit will look like. In an F2 hybrid , all bets are off because the seeds will have a mix of a mix of genes. You may get some great plants, or total failure.. Each seed will have its own mix of the parents mix of genes ( if that makes sense to you ) .
The best illustration of a hybrid is to compare a mule to its horse and donkey parents. It produces a great animal that has some characteristics of both parents and some advantages over both in some areas.. Animal hybrids are often a lot different than plant ones though .. Many animal hybrids are sterile if the two parent animals are well separated genetically, while plant ones are often still fertile. Closely related ones will be fertile, as in the many breeds of dogs and domestic cats.
It takes many generations of crossing hybridized plants and selecting the ones with the characteristics wanted to produce a new "pure strain" The big seed companies use two of their new pure strains to produce the F1 hybrids they sell.
To illustrate that in animal breeding is in our pets. All dogs descended from wolves; but selective breeding has produced variation from Great Danes to Chihuahuas. Both can be AKC registered " pure strain" and can interbreed to produce pups different from both parents, but with some features of each .
An inbreeding of their pups could really produce some surprises .. LOL
davefrombc

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening