Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

A big Hello/Introduction and a list of my veggies =)

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: A big Hello/Introduction and a list of my veggies =)

Postby Dumbo » Apr 21, 2012 5:25 am

Adam, hope you don't mind I hijack your topic to pick Dave's brain a bit since we are on topic of inside growing here (BTW, nice set-up)

Dave, I planted my stuff way too early. The tomato's that is. Now I have 2.5-3-foot high tomato's and I noticed yesterday they are going a lighter green. kind of pale looking the past couple of days, and not the dark green they were a week ago.

Now with all those tomato's I have and foliage, I am thinking I don't have enough light all of a sudden. Possible?

The only other thing I can think of is the 4" pots are now too small as well.

Now with snow forecasted for Monday, I think I am up the creek with these plants for another month.

With them going a lighter shade... would you get more lights?

EDIT:
Just noticed the peppers are getting flowers. Little tiny thing that just started over-night. So these were started too early as well. But they aren't getting a lighter shade of green.

Should I pinch these flowers off?
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Apr 21, 2012 10:15 am

I'm not sure on the lighter shade of green , It could mean they're begging for more light; but it could also mean they are running short on nutrients. If you can , try adding another shoplight facing the plants from the side rather than down from above; and repot into a bit larger pot and add a little slow release fertilizer. A little fertilizer in their water will give them a quick feeding . You can't give your indoor grow-op too much light. Unless you really go over the top, the light they get indoors is only a fraction of the full sun tomatoes enjoy outside.
Now is when you need that tall coldframe with a little auxillary heat to transition from the house out to the garden.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Apr 21, 2012 10:50 am

Yeah it isn't nutrient. They get a good feeding of that.

I too was wondering about light from the side. They are all bunched together. Tightly too.

I want them to stay in the pots they are in, otherwise I'm looking at buying 50$ in 50-cent pots (that's the price of the next size). I've rather add two more shop lights than buy plastic.

what to do...

EDIT:
"Now is when you need that tall coldframe with a little auxillary heat to transition from the house out to the garden."

I didn't price that... The wood is basically free.

I don't have a spare glass window... so I guess it would be plexiglass from Rona. = $?

Heat source and what to use = $?

hmm...
Dumbo

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 21, 2012 11:35 am

The tomato plants in my greenhouse aren't doing so good either. Like yours Dumbo, they are starting to turn a light green colour even though they get full sun....whenever it decides to shine.
They are in individual 4" pots so room for root-growth isn't the problem. Personally, I think I need to feed them more.

What strength of fertilizer do you use?
20-20-20 is my preferred strength of fertilizer; diluted to half the strength for seedlings.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby davefrombc » Apr 21, 2012 11:48 am

Check Freecycle, Kijiji, or Craigslist for free or cheap double glazed glass doors or windows for your cold frame builds. If the coldframe is protected or walls are insulated a bit ( 1" foam board would be enough) even a 100w incandescent light bulb would likely give enough heat to keep it well above freezing if temperatures drop a couple of degrees into frosty levels. You can get heating cables and mats you can put into/on the soil too.
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Apr 21, 2012 12:57 pm

CdnChelsea wrote:What strength of fertilizer do you use?

Yes, 20-20-20

CdnChelsea wrote:They are in individual 4" pots so room for root-growth isn't the problem.

This I don't know for the size of my plants. They seem kind of small. But don't really want to do this only due to the fact I need only a month before I plant them..

I'm leaning very heavily towards light deficiency.

I recall reading about the "light green colour" when I first started this indoor thing. I will have to try and find it again.

davefrombc wrote:Check Freecycle, Kijiji, or Craigslist for free or cheap

Didn't think of this. I know a couple of people with old windows I can score already. But not sure I want to go through the trouble for only a lousy month.

Just came back from the store, plexiglass would be ~ 60$ for the size I need. Not worth it. Also, given the size of the plants, I would need the frame to be at least 3.5 feet high minimum, and roughly 4'x6'.

I'll think this over tonight. But I'm leaning towards buying one or two more shop lights tomorrow. Seems the easiest way to go and I'm pretty sure I read some place a while back this was a symptom on insufficient light (have to check).
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Apr 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Cold frame would be good for the "lousy month" now and then at least 1 or two in the fall, maybe longer....And it will be there for next season and many after.
Even if you build a greenhouse later , you would find the coldframe still comes in very handy.
davefrombc

Postby styric » Apr 23, 2012 11:27 am

Dumbo wrote:Don't believe him Adam. He runs an illegal fish tank operation with an illegal power-bar.
Dave is a criminal.

As soon as I got to this, I was rolling helplessly in laughter until my three year old asked if mummy got something stuck in her throat :shock:
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby styric » Apr 23, 2012 11:38 am

I second the craigslist/freecycle for windows to build a cold frame. I'm thinking of using either a buried coil for heat and having a hot box for myself personally. I've got my small specialized pepper frame going this year (has reflective insulation, double glazed window, weather trim sealing around the edges and is set up for the coil and a light if needed), and next year I'm building a full sized one for annuals and leafy greens. It took me three months to scrounge the materials.

I don't have a ready supply of manure.. which is surprising since partner is in the army..
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby Dumbo » Apr 23, 2012 12:22 pm

I saw yours, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26647, it's actually pretty looking.
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening