Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

How much soil to get?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: How much soil to get?

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Heidi that's a great looking bed! The left side's low though, you might wanna bring it up your bubble's bangin' on the level ( JUST KIDDING! :lol: )

What are you gonna grow in there? You're keeping the clematis in the veggie bed? Considered moving it out so some yummy beans could grow up that tower? MORE VEGGIES is my motto lol! Maybe some nasturtiums?

That Lee Valley kit looks pretty nice and tidy whenever I see it and probably so easy for anyone to put together. Looks awesome!
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Dumbo » Apr 26, 2012 4:47 pm

I don't know how worth it that Lee Valley metal bracket thing is. It seemed way over-priced (last I looked) for what I could pick up at Rona...

Seems gimmicky... but I don't know.
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Apr 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Nope, I'm not moving the clematis. Over the years I have grown scarlet runners and sweet peas on those frames, but more often than not the beans get frozen in the mid August frosts we get around the full moon. I got tired of it all, so I moved the two clematis into the frames and they have both thrived and they are staying. Sometimes I pop in some morning glory seeds to add colour to the clematis greens.

This will be a veggie bed of course, but this year is hosting beets, onions and leeks. The one behind it will be carrots, broccoli, chard and peas. The bed to the right (not visible in the photo, will be bush beans (I get better yield because they are earlier than pole beans). The photo is taken facing east.

The long, narrow box along the bottom of the shed hosts a Maigold rambling rose, a bluebird clematis, a golden hops and some liatris bulbs. I have taken down the trellises temporarily to paint them navy blue which is my main trim colour. These plants all look great on the white siding of the shed.

There are a total of 4 boxes in the space. The far right one holds asparagus and some everbearing strawberries. So that one will be reframed, but only one level, since I am not moving the plants in that one either.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Heidi S » Apr 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Dumbo, I bought the corner kits on sale, and with Christmas money from my Dad and Stepmom. They are really easy to use, so far, and I am satisfied with my purchase. I live in a small city in northern BC so shopping options are limited for us. I love shopping Lee Valley especially when they have free shipping days - that is a good deal for me!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Apr 27, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm going to have to check a lee valley store one day. Never been in one. Never noticed one. These don't exist in Quebec.

My wife says there is one about 25 minutes away.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Apr 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Just came back from a Lee and Valley in Ottawa.

Some ok stuff there. Nothing I would bother myself with to take another tip there though.

Everything is ridiculously priced. I don't know how they stay open.

The store reminded me of the old Consumers Distributing where you had to fill in a card with the product you want and then they go in the back warehouse to pull it out for you. Been a long time since I've seen shopping in that manner. Was strange...

But I did stop at the new IKEA they have there and bought a new little table and chairs for the deck...
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Apr 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Dumbo,

Lee Valley's major market is actually catalogue sales, and for those of us no where near big city shopping, it serves a purpose. The stores are actually catalogue shipping centres, with a retail option.

I do find them expensive, but, in view of my very limited options, sometimes they are the best option. And in my assorted family who live at a distance, gift certificates for plant oriented things is always a good choice, when shopping for me!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Apr 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Yup, they had one building that was for order pick-ups.
One building was Lee and Valley Manufacturing
One building was their store.

While prices were ridiculous, they did have a couple of novelty things I haven't seen before.

I wouldn't say no to a gift certificate either (ahem Kelly/Eeyore, my B-day is coming up).
Dumbo

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening