Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Would it be ok to plant in winnipeg already?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Would it be ok to plant in winnipeg already?

Postby johnny_greenbeans » May 10, 2012 10:20 am

The forecast looks pretty warm, not supposed to have any frost. I was thinking of planting a few tomato and pepper plants already. Think I will be ok doing this? I have 24 pepper plants, some of which already have flowers, and then a bunch of seedlings. So i've got backups.

Re: Would it be ok to plant in winnipeg already?

Postby B_BQ » May 10, 2012 11:01 am

I'm in south/central Ontario and I'm not planting my tomato seedlings yet! I have brought them up from under the grow lights in the basement and have deposited them into a tiny greenhouse. I bring them out of the greenhouse each day for a few hours, but put them back in overnight. They should be strong enough to plant in the raised bed in about a week I reckon.
I have planted some peppers though! They're in a large container in a fairly sheltered spot, and after a week they're looking OK.
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown

Re: Would it be ok to plant in winnipeg already?

Postby Eeyore » May 10, 2012 12:30 pm

I would not plant out yet johnny. You could begin hardening them off though in preparation for the big day.
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening