Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Would it be ok to plant in winnipeg already?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Would it be ok to plant in winnipeg already?

Postby johnny_greenbeans » May 10, 2012 10:20 am

The forecast looks pretty warm, not supposed to have any frost. I was thinking of planting a few tomato and pepper plants already. Think I will be ok doing this? I have 24 pepper plants, some of which already have flowers, and then a bunch of seedlings. So i've got backups.
johnny_greenbeans

Re: Would it be ok to plant in winnipeg already?

Postby B_BQ » May 10, 2012 11:01 am

I'm in south/central Ontario and I'm not planting my tomato seedlings yet! I have brought them up from under the grow lights in the basement and have deposited them into a tiny greenhouse. I bring them out of the greenhouse each day for a few hours, but put them back in overnight. They should be strong enough to plant in the raised bed in about a week I reckon.
I have planted some peppers though! They're in a large container in a fairly sheltered spot, and after a week they're looking OK.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Would it be ok to plant in winnipeg already?

Postby Eeyore » May 10, 2012 12:30 pm

I would not plant out yet johnny. You could begin hardening them off though in preparation for the big day.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening