Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Procrastinator's Lament #1

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Procrastinator's Lament #1

Postby MareE » May 14, 2012 8:12 am

Well folks, I surmise tomato seeds lose their viability after a 6-month soak in stinky water. Harvested seed from 6 different Heirloom tomatoes last October, placed in individual bowls of water with lids to steep a while before drying, then promptly forgot about them till about second week of April. I've always started tommytoe seed indoors first week of May for planting out June 15th. Sowed fave 3 kinds in peat pots May 4th, kept the soil moist and warm, and after a week knew they weren't gonna germinate. aaargh

I really thought they'd still be viable seeing as how tomato plantlets will grow under (seemingly) much more dire conditions.

Anyone have commiserable seed starting tales to share?
PLEASE??
:|
Forlorn MareE;o{
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Re: Procrastinator's Lament #1

Postby Lulu » May 14, 2012 8:24 am

No "seed" stories,,my specialty is letting bulbs rot, in the plastic bag they came home in!
Lulu

Postby OGrubber » May 14, 2012 8:51 am

MareE wrote:
Anyone have commiserable seed starting tales to share?
PLEASE??

Absolutely.
Grew a new-to-me heirloom squash last year and only got a couple of fruit even close to ripening before frost so harvested them and put them on the table in the wash shed to finish ripening before taking seed.
Promptly forgot all about them.
Opened the wash shed this spring to air and clean before season start.... table was awash in two puddles of reeking mush, and seed husks [sans seed] scattered everywhere that the field mice found convenient.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Lulu » May 14, 2012 9:01 am

Ok, Inge,,just got a visual,,and,,, you win! Sorry, MareE!
Lulu

Postby MareE » May 14, 2012 9:17 am

Oh yeah? So, speaking of gagful STENCH, ladeez, I made a pot of chicken stock around Easter (of this year) and left the broth & Bones outside to cool off. Till last Friday. I swear my olfactory sense is irreparably impaired now. But then, this incident doesn't count cuz it wasn't an organic chicken, never mind seed. ;o} Sorry about your neglected bulbs, Lulu. Done that, too. snufflesniff

I hope those huskless Heirloom squash seeds germinate in bellies of the rifling rodents and blow them meeses to pieces, Inge! LAFF
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Lulu » May 14, 2012 10:23 am

Ok, MareE,,you wanna talk non gardening, house type stinks?

When my kids were younger, I sent one of them to put the meat (about $50. worth) that I'd just bought, into the freezer, downstairs.

About a week later, I went downstairs, to get some chicken! There it sat in all it's putrid glory, on the basement floor, beside the freezer! Phewie! This was in the middle of the summer! Phewie encore! Phewie again,,trying to get the leaking bag, upstairs, to the garbage can!
Lulu

Postby B_BQ » May 14, 2012 11:24 am

Oh Mary! The visual!!!!!

Do you have more seeds to start again? It's not too late. Let me know.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » May 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Actually I specialize in buying seeds and then keeping them for interminable amounts of time and acting completely surprised when they won't germinate. :roll:

Planted up some of the lemon cukes a couple of weeks ago and not seeing any germination there at all. Maybe I shoulda pre-sprouted them.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Lyn,
I highly recommend presprouting. I had much success this Spring with it.

If we are speaking about non-gardening events...my husband put away a Tupperware container and we found it a few weeks later still full of bacon. We just threw the whole lots out, container and all. He remarked that the stench reminded him of a rotting dead horse back at the farm... :roll:

MarE,
Sucks to get old...stuff I want to remember is forgotten and stuff I don't need won't go away.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby kelly_m » May 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Wait!!! Not my story, but a friends....Christmas dinner one year...had all her family over. Siter in law and a brother mayba cousin, offer to do the dishes.

Following easter, she went to get a bowl out for stuffing......found there was already stuffing in it!!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening