Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Has anybody grown Blue Potatoes?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Has anybody grown Blue Potatoes?

Postby Mervyn » May 14, 2012 10:53 pm

davefrombc wrote:I don't think the blue potatoes have any influence on bugs one way or another over regular potatoes.
Just a little off topic.. Some have grafted tomatoes onto potato plants ( they are both in the same nightshade family ) to grow tomatoes on top / potatoes below .

Here is how to do it . https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/blogs ... graft.aspx

But how well does it work yield wise ? it would seem this plant would now have to split it's energy to both the fruits up top, and the tubers below ground.

It is something I may consider next year , it would be one way to avoid insect problems associated with potato plants.
Mervyn

Postby Eeyore » May 15, 2012 12:02 am

According to the Q&A below the article you would get tomatoes and potatoes from the same plant but botrh would be a smaller size than normal. Interesting experiment though.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » May 22, 2012 11:50 pm

Well I'm surprised sew few people like purple potatoes. We love them baked. They do tend to have discoloration on the skin. I love the taste. They are not a heavy producer and they are the last ones we dig up in the fall. I'm not sure about them deterring bugs, I'll have to pay closer attention to them this year. Grow them every year.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Big Smile » May 24, 2012 9:58 pm

We planted all our potatoes yesterday , one row of the blue ones and were they ever blue when I cut them up. Two rows of white ( i forgot the name) senior moment.
Clara
Big Smile

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening