Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Has anybody grown Blue Potatoes?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Has anybody grown Blue Potatoes?

Postby Big Smile » May 14, 2012 9:34 am

We had our Hort. Plant Sale on Saturday and somebody brought Blue Potatoes (very well sprouted) I have never grown these but brought a few home to try.
The person that brought them says the plants will deter potatoe bugs.

Question #1 are all blue potatoes edible?
#2 If they do keep bugs away do I plant them between regular potatoes in the same row or just a row beside the others?

Thanks,
Clara
Big Smile

Re: Has anybody grown Blue Potatoes?

Postby Eeyore » May 14, 2012 10:31 am

Interesting. I don't know much about blue potaotes. I have eaten them and they taste just like regular taters. I would assume you can grow them right in with your regular spuds and if they do deter bugs thats a bonus! Hopefully someone with more knowledge will weigh in otherwise I will suggest you google some info. Good Luck Clara and let us know how it goes for you.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » May 14, 2012 11:03 am

There is an amazing array of varieties of potatoes you can grow ; some bear little resemblance to the more familiar varieties .. There are a few varieties of blue potatoes. Some only have blue skin and a little ways into the flesh , others have an almost blue/black skin and the blue goes right through the potato. All are edible, and have little difference from other potatoes in taste. I don't know , but I'd guess the heavy pigmentation in the blue potatoes may even indicate a higher value in some anti-oxidant content .
When I lived in the north my next door neighbours grew blue potatoes and shared some with me. They grew and tasted about the same as regular russets, I actually preferred the flavour of the blues although the difference was only subtle.. Theirs was a purplish blue and a heritage Russian variety. Since then there have been a lot of blue varieties developed with very intense colouring all the way through.. I'm sure you will enjoy growing and eating some of them; although I have not had the opportunity to try them myself.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby B_BQ » May 14, 2012 11:19 am

I have grown blue potatoes. I think they were Russian Blue. We didn't like them at all. We found they were very floury in texture and taste. It was very easy to overcook them, and if one did then they would almost disintegrate into the water. They looked pretty on a plate, but we decided it wasn't worth the effort and if we felt like the odd blue potato then we would pick a few up at the supermarket!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Big Smile » May 14, 2012 12:48 pm

davefrombc wrote:There is an amazing array of varieties of potatoes you can grow ; some bear little resemblance to the more familiar varieties .. There are a few varieties of blue potatoes. Some only have blue skin and a little ways into the flesh , others have an almost blue/black skin and the blue goes right through the potato. All are edible, and have little difference from other potatoes in taste. I don't know , but I'd guess the heavy pigmentation in the blue potatoes may even indicate a higher value in some anti-oxidant content .
When I lived in the north my next door neighbours grew blue potatoes and shared some with me. They grew and tasted about the same as regular russets, I actually preferred the flavour of the blues although the difference was only subtle.. Theirs was a purplish blue and a heritage Russian variety. Since then there have been a lot of blue varieties developed with very intense colouring all the way through.. I'm sure you will enjoy growing and eating some of them; although I have not had the opportunity to try them myself.

Thanks Dave for your good info . My main concern was if they are edible but now I feel safe to eat them.

Brenda, I forgot to say that I did eat blue potatoes once , I roasted them and they were good my granddaughter loved them .

Lyn I will keep you posted for sure.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby orchidguy » May 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Hiya Clara,
I've grown Blue Ridge, Adirondack Blue,a couple of the British Columbia Blue varieties, True Blue, Congo and Russian Blue, and although the textures of some of these are a bit too grainy and mealy for "mashed" potatoe dishes, but I do find most work well in a cold potatoe salad. Up here, the Congo has always had the most intense colouration.

Taste-wise, I don't find much difference than their "normal" coloured counterparts.
Big Smile wrote:Question #1 are all blue potatoes edible?
#2 If they do keep bugs away do I plant them between regular potatoes in the same row or just a row beside the others?

#1 I believe all blue spuds are edible Clara.

#2 I have never heard of this before, but doesn't mean it's not true. I usually keep the different types in "plots" of their own according to type and when harvested. (fingerling, small new, storage abilities...)
orchidguy

Postby davefrombc » May 14, 2012 3:10 pm

I don't think the blue potatoes have any influence on bugs one way or another over regular potatoes.
Just a little off topic.. Some have grafted tomatoes onto potato plants ( they are both in the same nightshade family ) to grow tomatoes on top / potatoes below .

Here is how to do it . https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/blogs ... graft.aspx
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 14, 2012 4:48 pm

I grew Russian Blue last year and it wasn't worth the garden space. A truly useless potato for us...dry and mealy, no amount of butter could make it palatable.

I'm growing my usual Caribe this year along with a new one (to me) called Sangre, which is a red skinned one.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Big Smile » May 14, 2012 6:17 pm

davefrombc wrote:I don't think the blue potatoes have any influence on bugs one way or another over regular potatoes.
Just a little off topic.. Some have grafted tomatoes onto potato plants ( they are both in the same nightshade family ) to grow tomatoes on top / potatoes below .

Here is how to do it . https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/blogs ... graft.aspx

Interesting blog Dave, but I don't think I will be trying that.
Thanks anyway.
Big Smile

Postby Mervyn » May 14, 2012 10:24 pm

I grew them one year , but not mixed with other Potatoes (russian blue to be exact) I don't recall any insect problems that year but this was only the second time I had grown potatoes and the first time in the particular spot.

Never grew them again as I just didn't like the taste of them, very bland and not the best texture , the only real use I can see for them imo is for their colour , one or two of them cubed into a potato salad for colour.
Mervyn

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening