Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Brussel Sprouts

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Brussel Sprouts

Postby Dumbo » May 27, 2012 1:19 am

So after planting Brussel sprouts, I've read in a few places that you can't plant tomatoes, more Brussel Sprouts, and some other things in the same area for like 4 years.

I did a quick search but spot nothing on "why" this is stated or what happens to the soil that is this drastic?

Looking at wiki, it seems to suck a lot of magnesium and calcium, but that can be amended.

So does anyone know why this is stated?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: Brussel Sprouts

Postby davefrombc » May 27, 2012 1:39 am

It's more to reduce the chance of having pathogens from one years crop affecting the next years one rather than a nutrient depletion thing.Some crops are a little more sensitive to attack by various moulds, viruses and bugs than others. Generally rotating crops to different parts of the garden from year to year isn't a bad idea for all garden veggies.. The same advice holds for members of the same family Tomatoes and potatoes, for example are attacked by many of the same diseases/ bugs and broccoli/ cabbage/ Brussels sprouts have common problems , so year to year they should be rotates with Carrots , beans, peas or whatever other unrelated crop you wish to grow.. It isn't absolutely necessary for best crops , but just another of the organic gardening "best practices " to reduce possible problems without resorting to chemical warfare .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » May 27, 2012 1:53 am

Is that the reason for this one? Because I have never come across one that states not to grow mostly all nightshade family again for 4 years. That's a first.

Makes me wonder what Brussel Sprouts can do (or what pathogen sticks around) in order to deserve this warning when growing them. Never seen a warning like that for anything else.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » May 27, 2012 2:30 am

I don't know of any other reason. Maybe someone else can say .. I've never seen anything specific to Brussels Sprouts before; other than a lot of people detest them and others, like myself, enjoy them and all members of the brassica family.
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » May 27, 2012 2:51 am

Everything I read says it depletes the soil... But that's not a biggie. I guess you are right about the potential soil born diseases. These are the only two things most everything I read talks about. But it doesn't go into anything specific.

Everyone rotates... but I never heard of a 4 year ban in the same spot for a veggie + other veggies of the same family as Brussel Sprouts before. That is, until now.

Weird one.
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » May 27, 2012 3:10 am

I can see a 4 year ban if there had been a disease outbreak, but not otherwise..It would be good to have a 4 year rotation on all crops , but I really don't see it as being necessary .
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » May 27, 2012 8:19 pm

The only thing I could find about this is, and in relation to disease, was on some American Uni sites. Something about "clubroot". Never heard of it. I think it's only applicable to store bought plants though, not seeds. But What do I know.

Seems this pathogen, once established via store bought brussel sprouts, will remain in the soil for up to 7 years even if you don't plant anything from the same family of veggie ever again. It seems to affect only this family of veggies from what I understood. So I think this is why they say not to plant anything from this family of veggie in the same spot for 4 years.

So this is the only reason I can find for these "4 year" statements I am seeing.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clubroot
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » May 27, 2012 10:14 pm

I have heard of this with plants from the Nightshade family but not the Brassica's. Inge may have the answer but I would guess it probably has to do with some sort of soil borne pathogen. Your article on clubroot says that in order to be really effective a 20 year ban is needed. :shock:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » May 27, 2012 10:48 pm

yeah you get a soil born disease like this and you may as well call a truck in to remove your soil and start all over again.

Remind me not to plant this thing again, heh

But it only mentioned store bought plants. Not seed. Can seed carry this thing? Treated seed?

This is one for OGrubber.

It was hard enough just finding the basic info. Doubt I will see anything else on it.

EDIT:
Also, why do I only see this mentioned for Brussel Sprouts? This has my curiosity too.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » May 27, 2012 11:07 pm

This particular link refers to all brassicas.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/t ... cas1.shtml
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening