Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Cucumber Beetle on Squash Plants

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Cucumber Beetle on Squash Plants

Postby Marion » Jun 09, 2012 5:16 am

Have any of you had trouble with the striped cucumber beetle? More importantly, have you managed to get rid of it. I discovered them devouring my plants last night. I hand picked them the best I could and will check again this a.m. to try to save my plants. I want to used organic solutions only. Any suggestions?
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Re: Cucumber Beetle on Squash Plants

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 09, 2012 9:22 am

I've never had that beetle where I live. I find that diatomaceous earth works wonders. You can get it almost anywhere and it does a good job on just about any insect. It's organic and safe for pets. I use it on my collies to deter the ticks.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Marion » Jun 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Jardin de ma grand-mère, merci! Thank you for the reply. Yeh, I`ve been encountering the possibility of usiing diatomaceous earth for various things. I bit the bullet and went to the pool supply store and bought 25 lb bag of it for a whopping $35. However, it`s about in line with the price of bonemeal and I don`t bat an eye when I stock up on that because I use it so much. Besides, it`s worth it if I don`t have to lose my transplants. I went to a local garden centre and mentioned the beatles to a knowledgeable guy who works there. Right a way, he was about to head to some chemicals...and when I said organic and mentioned that I hand picked them rather than using chemicals..he kinda threw up his hands. Not interested himself in such labour intensive work. I am commited to not using chemicals and getting things balanced right so that crops will be healthy and produce naturally.
Marion

Postby Mervyn » Jun 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Try this site, it has some options to try for cucumber beetles. I havent tried any of them myself with the exception of Radishes, I've been planting them with squash the last couple of years, they don't get rid of any insects, but many insects will go for the radish and not touch the squash,and the radish still ends up being ok.

http://www.ghorganics.com/CucumberBeetles.htm
Mervyn

Postby OGrubber » Jun 10, 2012 8:01 am

Marion wrote:.....the pool supply store and bought 25 lb bag of it for a whopping $35. .

Usually the DE used for pools has chemicals mixed in, as well. I'd get an ingredient breakdown for your brand to find out if it is pure before using.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Marion wrote:Jardin de ma grand-mère, merci! Thank you for the reply. Yeh, I`ve been encountering the possibility of usiing diatomaceous earth for various things. I bit the bullet and went to the pool supply store and bought 25 lb bag of it for a whopping $35. However, it`s about in line with the price of bonemeal and I don`t bat an eye when I stock up on that because I use it so much. Besides, it`s worth it if I don`t have to lose my transplants. I went to a local garden centre and mentioned the beatles to a knowledgeable guy who works there. Right a way, he was about to head to some chemicals...and when I said organic and mentioned that I hand picked them rather than using chemicals..he kinda threw up his hands. Not interested himself in such labour intensive work. I am commited to not using chemicals and getting things balanced right so that crops will be healthy and produce naturally.

Bienvenue! Quand ca marche, ca marche!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Oh one more thing....diatomaceous earth spreads easily if you use a "Dustin Mizer". I ordered one this Spring and I totally love it!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Marion » Jun 10, 2012 4:46 pm

@ OGrubber: yikes...thanks for the input. I quickly went to my car to check the bag of DE. Then went online to do some research.Nothing conclusive. I did find that the pool DE undergoes some kind of heat process and according to some sources is ineffective for the purpose I'd intended, ie. insect control. Another find is another forum discussion where a member tells of using his leftover pool DE to do just what I want to do. He reports success. From what I can cypher at the moment is "be careful not to breath it in... caution to humans and animals regarding the lungs...and that it won't harm the plants....fingers crossed.
Marion

Postby Marion » Jun 10, 2012 4:50 pm

So tell me, those of you who use DE, what's your source? And Mygrandmeresgarden what's this Dustin Mizer?
Marion

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 10, 2012 5:18 pm

I have an explanation on my blog:
http://mygrandmeresgarden.blogspot.ca/2 ... chive.html

Here's the link to where I ordered it from:
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/tools ... ustinmizer

Here's the video to see it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttv7YFfMnRE

That should answer all of your questions.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening