Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tomatillo question

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Tomatillo question

Postby Mervyn » Jun 11, 2012 9:06 pm

On a impulse today I purchased a single Tomatillo plant , it was only 99 cents and it fit into my habit of always wanting to try a new plant every year.

After brining it home and planting it, I decided to do some research on it, (just wiki) and I read this

Tomatillo plants are highly self-incompatible (two or more plants are needed for proper pollination; thus isolated tomatillo plants rarely set fruit).[1]

First I'm annoyed as this info is not included on the little plastic marker that comes with the plant, and secondly if they shouldn't be selling em as singles imo.

Anyone here have any practical experience with these plants, do you really need two for pollination ?
Mervyn

Re: Tomatillo question

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 11, 2012 9:45 pm

I've never grown it, but I also read that you need more than one plant to get fruit.

Hopefully, Brenda will chime in; she has grown this before.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Jun 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Chiming in here!;)
I can't help with the 'only one plant' scenario, because I grew more than one plant. (I think three). They were really prolific, and it gave me a lot of pleasure to see them grow and to pick them, and then to make salsa verde with them!
I grew them on wrought iron trellises I have embedded at the back of my raised veggie beds. Come to think of it I'm not really use the trellises for anything this year. I must remember to grow tomatillo plants next year. *smile* They're fun to grow.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Mervyn » Jun 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I ended up buying another one, they are only 99 cents :)
Mervyn

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening