Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pumpkins

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Pumpkins

Postby ajarvis » Jun 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Question as I am new to gardening. So I had a couple hills of pumpkins started and I only had 2 so far germinate. Should I keep waiting or should i replant?
ajarvis

Re: Pumpkins

Postby Dumbo » Jun 15, 2012 12:09 am

Germinated how long ago? If it's only been a couple of days, wait 4-5 more days before planting more. Or just plant more now, and if the other come up, just thin it out a bit.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Jun 15, 2012 12:29 pm

I've had notorious results with squash. Sometimes they are slow to germinate and even then they don't always survive. I agreew with MArc, throw some extra seed in and if necessary thin out later.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby ajarvis » Jun 16, 2012 8:46 pm

the two that are there came up a couple of weeks ago. I have an ant problem too that the garden beside it I've lost my cucumbers too and the one where the ant colony is lost peas, and some green onions. I've poured boiling water on the actual ant colony but it's pretty big. once the garden is done for the year going to have to find a way to get rid of them. Maybe I'll try replanting some of the pumpkins this weekend.
ajarvis

Postby Dumbo » Jun 17, 2012 10:23 am

ajarvis,
I really have my doubts that it's the ants causing this. As said in another topic, I built my garden this spring over a huge colony of ants. I have no issues. Ants do not tend to be a plant issue on this continent. Even everything I search says the same.

However, that aside, if you are going to kill them off use something like diatomaceous earth. It should wipe out the colony in a few days, or wipe it out where they aren't as visible to you. Diatomaceous earth is basically silica. As long as you aren't breathing this dust in it's safe around plants that you eat, unlike other chemicals.

It's a white powder (like very fine sand). I can't recall what brand name it is in the stores here in Canada. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. The bottle in the stores looks similar to this picture, but with another Brand name on it:
http://www.amazon.com/Safer-5168-Diatom ... B000FLV9H2
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 17, 2012 11:13 am

My squash are really struggling this year. We've had a lot of rain and not much heat. When I seed squash, I seed heavily, as in up to 10 seeds per hill. I've had trouble with wire worms getting in and eating inside the seed. Most of my hills this year have come up with one or two plants. Some hills, I have nothing. I had to reseed the cukes and they aren't coming up really well the second time around which is strange. We've had farmers in the area that seeded the lentils and peas early that had to reseed because the seed rotted in the ground. Too cool and too much rain.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby ajarvis » Aug 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Thank you for the replies. I have looked for that ant powder you recommended, but can't seem to find it. Will keep looking though. Got a small amount of peas out of that garden and that's about it lol.

I replanted my cucumbers and they are growing now in two spots in the garden and flowering :) So hoping they come soon.

The pumpkin plants that are growing are going nuts, but no fruit yet. I decided not to plant more and am kind of glad I did. Lots and lots of flowering. I don't think I was watering them enough at the beginning. So I guess only time will tell with what happens to them. I do have a bunch of tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, and beets. so not too disappointed in my first attempt at a garden.
ajarvis

Postby kelly_m » Aug 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Look for Chem Free Ant killer. very similar to the safers, but readily available in canada.

It's base is Diatomaceous earth...so it si not a harmful chemical....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening