Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Red Cabbage Plant- From a Stump!

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Red Cabbage Plant- From a Stump!

Postby Shortbread » Jun 22, 2012 12:17 am

Hi, I had a stump from a red cabbage that eventually sprouted into a foot long leafy plant. It's already openned some little yellow flowers. I did a bit of research and this means it is ready to seed.

How can I get more cabbages from this plant? Right now it's in a 6L planter packed with compost.

Thanks!
Shortbread

Re: Red Cabbage Plant- From a Stump!

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 22, 2012 12:43 am

As far as I know, cabbages are annuals and once it goes to seed, it tells the plant that its job is done. You can always start some from seed - cabbage will do a lot better planted in the ground though. You might want to do some kale or lettuce in containers and then you can harvest a few leaves at a time.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

I've actually heard that you can start celery this way too.... At this point you'll have to start some cabbage from seed.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » Jun 22, 2012 12:39 pm

You won't get a cabbage head or much in the way of useable celery from the stumps if they are from last years harvest .. Cabbage, celery, carrots and parsnips are all biennial plants.. The first year they produce the cabbage, Stalks and roots we harvest to eat.. Left to grow the second year, they produce the flowers and seeds to propagate themselves. The cabbage will not produce a head, the celery will grow some leaves and poor stalks, but both will mainly be flowering and seed producing growth.. The carrots and parsnips will grow the greens and flowers to produce seed, but the roots will become woody and really not good for eating.
( just tossed the bit about carrots and parsnips in since they are two other common biennials in our gardens )
Other biennials common in gardens are beets, Swiss chard and turnips.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Eeyore » Jun 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Interesing info Dave. Thanks!

Shortbread, will you send me cookies???? :lol:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening