Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tomato problems in row one...

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Tomato problems in row one...

Postby B_BQ » Jun 26, 2012 4:52 pm

If you right click the picture Marc and open it up you will see the whole picture.

Donna: That looks very strange indeed. Is that a Brandywine? Marc may be right, it could be blight. Blight doesn't always affect every plant. A couple of years ago I had plants in my raised beds that were affected, not all, but the plants I had growing in pots in a different area were not affected at all.

Again, Inge could probably shed some light on this.

`BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 4:54 pm

B_BQ wrote:If you right click the picture Marc and open it up you will see the whole picture.

Nope. It won't allow me to "click to enlarge" on this specific forum.

EDIT:
Seems to be only Donna's pic that is causing this. Tried with other pic's in this specific forum. "click to enlarge works". Just not hers for some reason.
Strange.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 26, 2012 5:17 pm

B_BQ wrote:Donna: That looks very strange indeed. Is that a Brandywine? Marc may be right, it could be blight. Blight doesn't always affect every plant. A couple of years ago I had plants in my raised beds that were affected, not all, but the plants I had growing in pots in a different area were not affected at all.

Again, Inge could probably shed some light on this.

`BBQ

Brenda,
Sure hope it's not blight. I need to find my Bordo mix and give the whole area a spray. It's been humid the past few days, I should try preventative measures. There is no mold formation on anything, isn't that one of the symptoms of blight?

Marc,
You can't see my picture because Photobucket is helping me to get back at you for dissing my cooking skills. :lol:
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 6:17 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:There is no mold formation on anything, isn't that one of the symptoms of blight?

Depends on the site you read. I looked it over fast, but i'd say 50% of the sites say the white mould or black mould or other doesn't necessarily develop in early stages.

I would have went with southern blight, if it was a blight. This one grows from the soil level stem upwards and your pic shows this. It also causes the plant to fall over at the soil line. I think you stated this.

But your picture of the stem looks too nice for this. Not as ugly as others I've seen on various sites.

Also, I wouldn't expect it to affect only outer plants...

Your stem also has the sign/symptom of Fusarium Wilt. But your leafs do not. Unless you have a bunch of yellow leafs you didn't include in the picture...

Ah, it's an embedded image that's giving me the issue. Damn it Donna figures you would break everything. BTW, your stem looks like the last batch of spaghetti you made :-}

I looked at about 15 diff diseases, I see nothing with a 100% match to the picture.

Could even be what they call bacterial canker.

Some sites say to cut the stem length wise to show a cross-section of the stem. Brown discolouration of the inside cells of the plant will be brown if it's Fusarium Wilt. But this is also true for that bacterial canker.

A few different things are possible. Need better pic's of the plant and on both sides + a cross-section.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Jun 27, 2012 10:44 am

I don't know Donna.
At first glance you have collar rot which is a manifestation of early blight but, from what I can see you don't have any irregular colouration on the leaves... and that knob at the root is really baffling, as is the only the front row thing.
Does the "front row" get more water or stay wet longer [maybe due to less air circulation] than other areas?
In any case, getting out that copper spray is a very good idea, just in case.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Jun 27, 2012 11:39 am

I wonder if her husband is chewing the plant stem to alleviate some sort of pain from Donna's cooking? Could happen.... And maybe Tomato stem is a natural cure?

Yeah that root took me for a ride too. I want better pictures now. I need to know what it is...
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Jun 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Except for the roots , or lack of them , it looks like slug damage.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 27, 2012 2:34 pm

davefrombc wrote:Except for the roots , or lack of them , it looks like slug damage.

There are hardly any roots because I yanked the plant out. I'm pretty sure it's not slug damage, they don't come out until much later around these parts.

That's the last of my worries. Came home from daughter's grade 12 graduation to find what 60 mph winds will do to the remaining good tomato plants. Grrrr.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby davefrombc » Jun 27, 2012 2:52 pm

This has not been a normal year for weather related events..I'd keep my eyes open for the little beggars emerging early .. Oh boy.. I hope your tomatoes recover from that "breeze " ok.. If it's not one thing , it's another this year .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jun 27, 2012 3:43 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Came home from daughter's grade 12 graduation to find what 60 mph winds will do to the remaining good tomato plants. Grrrr.

heh that what i'm in the process of doing now. I didn't take of of them when they were small. I let them go for too long and it seems the wind kicked up over night and I found 7 of them on the ground, but not broken. Just too heavy + wind for the tiny bamboo stick I had them tied to.

I have branches 6 feet long and tying them up on 30-something plants :/

BTW, I broke a branch, so i slit it open and took a pic to show you what part of the inside of the tomato stem walls will turn brown with certain virus or bacteria. Then maybe you can check yours when you get a chance, or check when it happens again. This will eliminate a bug as the problem (which I don't think it is) and narrow it down to maybe 3 or 4 diff virus or soil bacteria. Will post it later this evening when I have more time to play.
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening