Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Strawberry Jam or Preserves

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Strawberry Jam or Preserves

Postby Dumbo » Jun 24, 2012 3:47 pm

So I went strawberry picking and have 10-litres (+/-) of strawberries.

Anyone have a proven good recipe on how to preserve them or make jam?

Never did jam or preserves before, only froze them.

Lots of recipes on the net, but I find most recipes I follow on the net to be rather tasteless or lacking.

Have the Bernadine book, which is just the standard ways and I find those recipes lack a bit as well.

Have both the boiler thing and pressure canner.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: Strawberry Jam or Preserves

Postby B_BQ » Jun 24, 2012 4:18 pm

No recipe - sorry! We don't like strawberry jam, but do love fresh strawberries, or marinated strawberries with a little balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and sugar! :lol:

I find that most recipes call for far too much sugar though, and whenever I do make jam or jelly, (crabapple, raspberry, plum, quince), I don't use as much sugar as a recipe calls for. I always do add fresh lemon juice though, as I think this gives any jam a boost.

I bought some fresh strawberries yesterday and was disappointed. Not much taste, and a bit watery. They're local too and we haven't had a lot of rain, but lots of heat. They cost $4.99 and the same size container in the supermarket, (from US), was $2.50. Tastier too. Go figure!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jun 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Thumbing through the recipes I noticed that as well about the sugar. They put lots. Like 7 to 12 cups of sugar!

So Guess I should ask people if they have two proven recipes.
1- Regular Jam
2 - One with reduced sugar.

B_BQ wrote:marinated strawberries with a little balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and sugar!

Saw that. Not brave enough for that yet. Wouldn't know what to do with it anyhow...
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 24, 2012 4:43 pm

A simple freezer jam recipe I found on the Canadian Living site:

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/stra ... er_jam.php

We prefer the freezer jam for strawberries anytime at our house. Im not a big fan of cooked strawberries. This recipe is quick and easy and with less sugar.

Diane
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby B_BQ » Jun 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Marc: Be brave! Slice strawberries, or just cut them in half. Add a little sugar, (this is what starts to draw out the juices), and about a teaspoonful, (or less to begin with), of balsamic vinegar. Let them sit for about half an hour, tossing them once or twice. Taste! You will NOT taste the balsamic vinegar, (which is sweet anyway), but you will notice that the strawberries taste soooo good!

~B_BQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby B_BQ » Jun 24, 2012 4:48 pm

I also often use raspberry vinegar instead of balsamic. Same quantity as balsamic.
~B_BQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jun 24, 2012 5:18 pm

ok will try it, if I have it. I know I have a bunch of balsamic and raspberry stuff.. but not sure if it's vinegar or oil will have to look at what I have. Pretty sure it's an oil.

Depending on what the kids take, I should have enough for 3x 8-cup batches of something. I should measure it out and hide it now before it's too late.

I don't think I ever saw freezer pectin before, or "light" pectin. Not that I ever looked for it. Will check at the stores tomorrow.

So ok...

1. Freezer (this takes those special white plastic mason jar lids, no? Don't think I saw this in stores either, will have to look... Small Tupperware ok?)
2. Regular jam
3. Something reduced sugar (or the balsamic one if I have the stuff).

K so I have a freezer one.

2 more to go. TY!

EDIT:
BTW, I tasted the just picked one and compared it to the stuff we bought at the grocery store. You are right. bought stuff is pretty much tasteless.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jun 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Marc: Don't use oil!

How's this: A few strawberries, a little sugar, a little balsamic vinegar, a little mint, and a glass of sparkling white!

Well, it is sundown somewhere in the world!
IMG_2642.jpeg

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jun 24, 2012 6:01 pm

lol I won't.
Just checked. We have a bunch of different flavoured oils. Not the vinegar. But I do have about 1/3 of a bottle balsamic vinegar in the fridge so we can try a taste test at least.

I won't have to slice them. The ones I picked are very small. The farmer there told me to pick the smallest ones. He said they are sweeter and have more flavour. Width of a dime.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jun 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Mygrandmeresgarden wrote:A simple freezer jam recipe I found on the Canadian Living site

Did you try the reduced sugar one? the regular one? Both?
Dumbo

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening