Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Strange Looking

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Strange Looking

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 4:23 pm

True!
I wonder if Texas even has this pest? Maybe the pest has a certain territory?
You would figure if it was something common we would see it, no?

Now I have to know the answer to this. blah

The hook Worm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manduca_quinquemaculata
Range
M. quinquemaculata is found throughout the United States, northwestern Mexico, and even southern Canada, but is less frequently found throughout the Great Plains and the southeast.

Hmm what is defined as the Southeast U.S?
What exactly is the "Great Plains?
Now I have to know... and I hate geography. blah.

southeast U.S.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast ... ted_States
the Association of American Geographers defines the southeastern United States as Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Don't see Texas there.

Great Plains:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Plains
The Great Plains are a broad expanse of flat land, much of it covered in prairie, steppe and grassland, which lies west of the Mississippi River and east of the Rocky Mountains in the United States and Canada. This area covers parts of the U.S. states of Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, and Wyoming, and the Canadian provinces of Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The Canadian portion of the Plains is known as the Prairies.

Hmm. Seems that this maaaay be a reason why it isn't listed there. Might not be common there at all. At least this is what I am led to believe. No clue really. But Texas is listed as an area where this thing isn't common.

Do you notice if the Diseases & Viruses are the same as here? I wonder if some of these things have a range as well that isn't common in certain parts of North America?

Why are there no Canadian UNI extensions? I only see American ones.

Donna, is the hook worm very common is Saskatchewan?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jun 26, 2012 4:46 pm

I do not do the tomato hook worm. Grotesque creature. Gives me the ebee jeebies. The first time I came across one was at my other house. I had a couple of pots on my very hot patio. I was checking the plants over, weeding, watering,, and suddenly saw the ugliest little creature I've ever seen. Letting out a girlie scream I ran indoors! There was an electrician working inside, and he and my hubby were chatting. One of them had to do something, cuz I sure wasn't. The electrician knew exactly what it was, as he had done quite a lot of farming and grown tomatoes and other veggies. He just went outside, plucked it off the plant, and squished it! Not seen one since and won't lose any sleep if I never see another one. Yuck yuck yuck!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 4:52 pm

I have never saw one either.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 26, 2012 7:08 pm

I've seen those tomato hornworms around, but strangely, never on my tomatoes. They go spastic when you prod them, btw. (says Donna, who will surely fry in Halifax for her crimes against hornworms...) :shock:
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Dumbo

Postby Countryboy » Jun 26, 2012 9:05 pm

B_BQ wrote:I do not do the tomato hook worm. Grotesque creature. Gives me the ebee jeebies. Yuck yuck yuck!
~BBQ

That pretty much sums up my opinion too...
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby CdnChelsea » Jun 27, 2012 7:13 am

Ok Dumbo, I will humour you and keep those wonky tomato plants as an experiment. They were planted in the ground in late May with perfectly normal looking leaves. Then as they started to grow, the stems and leaves came out all curly. So it's been about a month now since they were planted in the ground.
The garden gets a few hours of sun in the morning, a few hours of sun in the afternoon and then a few hours of sun in early evening.

Today I am going to apply some epsom salts around the plants to see if it will make a difference.

Regarding the tomato hornworm, if you spray the tomato plants with water and the plants start to move a little, it is the hornworm trying to shake off the water. My step-father showed me that trick.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Dumbo » Jun 27, 2012 11:34 am

I'm not a fan of adding stuff to soil based on voodoo. You would see the tell-tale signs of a purple-ish vein on the plant leaf if it was lacking magnesium. You don't have this.

Also, with a severe magnesium deficiency, the outline of the plant leaf would be green while the inside of the leaf not as green and bordering yellow (it affects chlorophyll). You don't have this.

Then if it does pick up in 2-3 weeks, you will think the magnesium helped it, which isn't true, and this will just add to the voodoo belief, and voodoo will continue to rule your world.

If you add nothing, I will be happier with your test. :)

See why i'm a fan of soil analysis now? It takes away the voodoo.
Dumbo

Postby CdnChelsea » Jun 27, 2012 11:51 am

Dumbo wrote:If you add nothing, I will be happier with your test. :)

Ok, I'm game. I am not going to use epsom salts. Happy? :lol:

At this point, I don't think anything would help. These tomato plants have looked like this for roughly 3 weeks and as they grow, the new leaves continue to curl up. It's not something that has just started. Since this has never happened in all the years I have been growing tomatoes, I really would like to know what caused it and how I can remedy it.

*sigh*

IMG_0311.JPG
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Dumbo » Jun 27, 2012 11:57 am

CdnChelsea wrote:Ok, I'm game. I am not going to use epsom salts. Happy? :lol:

\o/ YAY!
images.jpg
images.jpg (3.83 KiB) Viewed 2093 times

*does the snoopy happy dance*

EDIT:
CdnChelsea wrote:I really would like to know what caused it and how I can remedy it.

It's not something that is well defined with what I have read to date (and I only read a dozen or so articles on it, not much).

My best guess is that it's biological and physiological (just like most of what I read stated). It could be caused by one thing or many things, or a specific combination of things. I don't know. Could be caused by specific temperatures and rain fall. Who knows. But it happens and it's common.

From what I gather it's like how OGrubber explained it. Something within the plant (biological) or something with where it's planted (its environment), or a combination of both causes a plant to put all it's energy into growth. It outgrows what the plant itself can handle. Think of it as one of those grade 2 kids who are already 5-feet tall while every other kid is 3.5 feet tall. It just happens.

Then, according to theory, and there are some people on this forum who don't agree with this, the plant curls it's own leaves via some biological mechanism and this is due to the plant itself trying to stunt it's growth. In other-words, it's trying to prevent itself from growing taller and thinner (more leggy, if you prefer). The plant is trying now to beef up it's stalk by curling it's leafs inward to stop some energy.

I noticed a couple of little flowers on the plant. This is good. The plant will put energy into the flower instead of growth. So don't pick those flowers off. It will help stunt it's growth a bit till it thickens up and then it will put energy back into growing tall.

Anyhow, this is what I have read to date, as I understood it.

True? Not true? No one seems to know, as far as I can tell.

That's all I know.

OGrubber may know more, or have better access to better current findings on this.

oh yeah...

Some people say this is due to too much water. But, when all 30 of my plants did this I watered them religiously every day anyhow. Water seemed not to be the cause nor did they seem to keel over because I watered them.

So I would still water yours, as long as the soil isn't sopping wet.
Last edited by Dumbo on Jun 27, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening