Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

In Need of a GREAT Pickle Recipe

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: In Need of a GREAT Pickle Recipe

Postby Dumbo » Jul 26, 2012 1:37 pm

An alien?

I dare you to walk into a MTL bar and ask for a drink with pickled scary grass.

You will either get a dime bag of weed with your drink, or the drunk barmaid who hasn't shaved in 9 months will start stripping.

I'll call the english people I know in MTL tonight and toss the word at them. Let's see what they come up with.

EDIT:
This reminds me of the time an Ontario woman gave me a recipe for oatmeal cookies.

She tells me i, "have to buy old fashioned rolled oats".

So I go into every single supermarket in existence looking for "rolled oats". None to be found. Finally i'm at wits end and ask the manager of Metro to find me "rolled oats". He looks at me all weird and says that doesn't exist.

After 3 hrs of bugging people and going to every store that exists I gave up and bought Quaker Oatmeal. I then call the woman in Ontario and gave her crap for sending me out to find stuff that doesn't exist. She tells me Quaker oatmeal *IS* rolled oats.

Man... *@^#^ I don't think the word Rolled Oats has existed since the turn of the last century. She laughs at me all the time about this now. "Marc, did you buy rolled oats". &@%#%@
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Jul 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Oatmeal is not necessarily made from rolled oats.. Rolled oats are just that ... oats that have been ground by pressing between rollers.. Oatmeal can be made from rolled oats by grinding it finer; or it can be made from steel cut oats. And to confuse the alien more.. "Oatmeal" can also be used to name the porridge made from oats that are either rolled or ground another way.

Warning to CG forum members! ... MTL bars are full of aliens !
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jul 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeah. I looked up all the types after that incident. Quaker Oats (going by memory) does indeed state old fashioned rolled oats on the side of the bag or something in very small fine print.

I guess they put that there in case someone from the 18th century needs to look for that word. :p
EDIT:
Or for time-travelers.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Jul 26, 2012 2:55 pm

You really must be an alien Marc> I can't believe you've never heard of "Rolled Oats".....

Scary Grass only exists on "The Patio" now OTGF. If you start asking in MTL bars you'll be locked up for sure! :lol:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jul 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Damn. I knew I shouldn't have believed you. You were pulling my leg.

*shakes fist in the air*
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Jul 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Marc.. It's part of misheard plant names.. asparagus.. a sparygus .. ascarygas.. a scary grass .. scary grass
There is a whole list of them , but I don't know if the survived the forum revamp.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jul 26, 2012 5:22 pm

asparagus = a scary grass?
That's a serious speech impediment, or some serious hearing loss going on there. :shock:

But, this doesn't explain Kelly asking for drinks with a pickle and pickled beans in it. and acting as if this is normal.

That too is some serious weird poop happening. Must be another bad joke.... like toasted rye with smoked meat.

ok. You had me going +1 to you people.
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Jul 26, 2012 6:31 pm

You could have gone to the feed store for rolled oats....the sell em!

And, just to set the record straight...I do not ASK for my caesars to be garnished with awesomeness...they usually just come that way!

Everyone knows what scary grass is!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Jul 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Just because I'm a nice person (unlike my little sis! :twisted: ) I'm copying an old version of the "Fictionary" so as to enlighten Marc....

PATIO FICTIONARY
•A neglected (mea culpa) collection of words, phrases and expressions that are not found in standard dictionaries, Lexicons, nor circumspectly of English language on Google, Yahoo, Sherlock(Mac thing), etc to date.
•Words derogatory in nature will not be added.
•Should anyone be able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a word DOES exist elsewhere, phony ©symbol will be removed sooner or later along with the word.
•Based on play on words, funny typos, and other nonsense. All in the spirit of FUN!!! mind ye.
•If you know of a new word that is not listed here, or if you'd like a word erroneously copyrighted to yourself removed, please alert me by e-mail immediately! Thanks in advance.
adhudicate©K: (v) the tenacious juggling act of hudging Patio photo contests
askeert©lizzy (v): is derived from being ascared to run back and forth across the street when cars are coming to see if you can almost get hit, but not quite and your mother doesn't find out cos then you'll really have something to be askeert of.
Sentence: "Wanna go swimmin' at Devil's Hole?" "Naw, I'm skeert."
banquish©inge: (v) to combine vanquishing with banishment post-vanquishing... i.e. "I banquished my foe"
Baron of Beef Bath©inge: (n) Kat's controversially revolting marinade for huge prime rib of boeuf to be barbequed
Big Honkin' Lens©inge: (n) self-explanatory...bb's Canon (specs to be supplied)
buttinsk©Mare: (v) To butt in, interrupt, etc.
buttinsky (n) is REAL word so can't be added here. sorry
chicken à la coop©pamster (n) another name for Patio party venue at Inge's place
conjoler©BB: (n) "A good word for what sometimes parents go through to have kids(or Ron) eat their veggies might be conjole ie: to gently persuade. That's kind of a neat word as it comes from Old French "cageoler" which means to chatter like a jay. Might work too for birds due to the avian connection?
SQUAWK!!! Eat your veggies."
corruptigated©K (p.p.v.) corruptigate. To corrupt one in or with a corrugated box. One of those words that comes to one's mind as they suffer in bodily pain due to um....unforseen circumstances (or friends who can't drive golf carts!)
cuppachat©Patty: (n) is the warm beverage one has safely distant from computer while chatting to Patio Pals. (synonyms: T-Thyme©BF, cuppawhew©Mare)
Dark Side©lizzy: (n) awaiting definition by author Nov13'06
digiballet ©Mona(?) : What Betty does before she falls into the drink.
digi-doer©Paminthegarden: (n) is a person who enjoys the benefits, mainly immediate gratification, of a DSLR camera in sharing his/her personally unique views of World in general thru his/her lens of the miraculous digi.
diskappear©Sue: (v) disappearance of electronic material/content, usually from your disk. "Where did that file go? It diskappeared." Can also be used for other kinds of dis(k)appearances as everything is touched by computers these days
doggie-cide© ???: (n) is the grey coloring bark assumes after numerous pooches have "watered" it.
eddykayshun©Inge (n)
ee ee ee©Carsy (emoticom): is a dog laffing silently--or at least I THINK that was it!
e-cnirp©Kelly (n): what happens to a gorf once kissed by a beeeeyyooouuuteeeful Queen (Burlesk)
eh eh eh©Carsy (emoticom): is a dog laffing in French.
e-pert©Kelly: (n) an electronically self-proclaimed expert
escapement©bb (n): a more appropriate word for escarpment in re: Owen Sound Nature hikes
feather-butt©Inge:
frustraction©BF: 1.(n) mental state of (Sue) being distractedly frustrated during home Spring cleaning bouts ie: replacing ceiling vent covers; 2.(medical term the way ourDerek see it is [Frus]-in-[raction]–what frus be is pending.)
fruz©Ourderk (v):' "Friz" [for "froze"] might be heard in Norfolk, UK. 'However, locally one would hear the word "fruz" more often or not, in O'Haliburton, thick with wood smoke.'
fufah©Olivia: "The word you use when you can't think of the proper word to describe the different variations a sentence or statement can make through emphasis or
punctuation......e.g.
Patio Party! O. - statement with author
Patio Party-O - adjective with noun in a fun manner.
Patio Party O - description of one of our fave patio partiers..... "
gak!©carsy
gawjus©sue: (emoticon) and self-explanatory
gloopspa©Inge: (n) is Inge's mud-wrestling pond when the soil...er clay... gets nice and mucky. The gloopspa is also for relaxin' and yackin' and sipping cool bevvies
gob-smacker/gobsmacker©inge: (n) is unruly student who shoots spitballs during Patio 101 classes
gorf©Joni-O (n) is simply the amphibious "frog" spelled backwards
headage©John V. (n) a Dutch headache
hospiTAILity©bb (n):
hudge©savona: (n) is a judge in Patio photo contests. This word sprung from a funny typo of Savona's. heehee
interpuption©inge: to be interrupted by rambunctious young dog going by name of, say, Jesse
Kabloom!©Trish: (n) loud unexpected kee-rash
kackle-kackler©joni-o: (n) derived from the Scots "hen", a jovial human female buddy
kewl©Sue-chef's niece or Kelly: same meaning as for "cool" Beatniks used to say, except pronounced as bi-syllabic word
koot kard©bb: (n) klever html greeting cards designed by Koot aka Libby aka Kootenayscotswoman
lurkseer©mare: (n) is a friendly lurker on forums who rarely posts anything. "Doing a lurksee" is reading but not staying to post at that time.
mewsic©lizzy: (n) the pleasant(?) cacophony created by cats who record on CDs their versions of human music
mossed msgs/messages©lyn 08/06: (n) missing messages that have been posted on the board.
nearly mossed it!!©savona (expression): based on another of her typos--laffs
neighbo(u)r-b-gone©lynn(?) : (n) is a product you spray on a pesky neighbor who is causing gardening woes.
netpass©kat: (v) neglecting to reply to posted messages.
nuscowl©lyn (n): "unscowled but personally meybee nuscowled is more appropriate. I'm not sure the Dage is capable of another facial expression than a scowled so therefore he is either scowled or nuscowled (newly scowled)!" or nuskowl©lyn: (n) Mare's Himalayan orange-point Daegan's expression when NOT skowling
nuthedge©alissa: (n) is a friend who gardensits and rearranges everything while you're out-of-town.
painintheastilbe©smitty: (n) a neighbouring gardener who thinks he/she knows more than you do about plants in your own yard.
patoi©kat: .....then we should as patoi (natives of The State of Patio, an English speaking, but occassionally irrational and hysterical tribe, known for their loud cackling cry...ROTFLMAO!!!)) ©Nov'06
peeping Ron ©sue: (v/n) to watch, voyeuristically, birds having sex
plotlands©carsy: (n) are the community veggie gardens where Mare grow weeds and veggies and Al's 4'Oclocks, etc
poot©THE Dage: (n) a lady-like or gentlemanly passing of wind, depending on whose company one is keeping
pop-upsicles©bb: (n) from a "need new word" contest: earlybird fleurs that appear before the snow melts
postpeeker©trish: (n) a friendly lurker on forums who rarely posts anything. "Doing a postpeek" is reading but not staying to post at the time.
psychogardener©carsy: (n) is a friend who gardensits and rearranges everything while you're out-of-town.
pulling a lizzy©lizzy: (expression): is a blunder, blooper, mistake
pulling a marly©marly: (expression): is a blunder, blooper, mistake
reversolution©K&Craigers (n): is a digression from original theme and sometimes trubutarial subjects are lower on the evolutionary scale than the beginning theme.
salsifyed©craigers: (v) 1. "how one would feel after a night on a latin dance floor" 2. pending harvests of salsify
see through widow©craigers: (phrase):
scither©joan: (v) same meaning as hither and thither presumably (presumed bbq)
someboidies©laura: (n) need definition by author
spewski©mare: (v) the act between post-slurp and pre-swallow as defined by Inge
spewtooni©mare: (n) receptacle for spewskis
stink factory rating list©sue: (n) subjective rating of rose perfume's intensity and appeal
'stru you, too©joan: (expression) definition pending clearance by inventor
styrofoamus noodlii©kat: (n) Quite a sedentary, semiaquatic reptile, its dramatic coloration defies its shy and reclusive nature, however when provoked is known to rise from the water and smite badly behaved young Homo sapien teenagers."
sub-burps copyright '06 Cars: (n) "Wait a minute..I got something there. The sub-burps! Suburbs that engulf old villages."
revenge gardener©trish: (n) Planting fleurs in colour (ie: yellow) that ill-favoured neighbour abhors.
ructions©liz on hold temporarily--likened to some kind of Ruck Sack, says Inge's Random House-lol
terrorcycle©liz: (n) "youngsters who will ride bikes insanely and who fall onto gravel and then weep copiously. Works for idiot trailbikers on city streets too - and put-puts without mufflers."
tommy-toes©bbq (n) tomatoes, what else? meep! meep!
waxetically©liz (adv?) Molly barked waxetically, (waxed poetically)
weather liar©liz
weather or notman© K
witchhazelnut©Libby: is a friend who gardensits and rearranges everything while you're out-of-town.
whoopsa-daisy©Cars: (n) an accidental sowing of, say, a mystery plant.
wordsfer©bb/Cars (n) are entries of made-up words in Patio Fictionary lexicon. Singular usage is "wordfer".
Fictionariess MareE;o}
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jul 26, 2012 9:03 pm

lol some of those are good.

lol @ peeping Ron ;)
Still true to this day :p
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening