Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

In Need of a GREAT Pickle Recipe

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: In Need of a GREAT Pickle Recipe

Postby Dumbo » Aug 24, 2012 11:01 am

tink ah ghot a rwash ohn mah tuhngue
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Aug 24, 2012 11:15 am

oh yeah.. I pulled up all the pickle plants, and ended up tossing about 40-lb of pickles out. And there were still tones of flowers.

I got pickled out, and my neighbour had their fill and did all their pickles too.

Now to see how long this will last.

Pulled out the cukes too. I was over run with cukes, but I left one row.

Pulled all the beans as well. Freezer is packed w/ beans.

Still have tomatoes going strong. though the leaves are starting to turn colour now. I pulled 3x 36-lb plus I have 50-lb (or maybe more) on the kitchen table now. Have to pick more today or tomorrow.

Cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, Xmas tomatoes.. a ton. Not sure what to do with them. Will likely pull those up this week. Don't think I'll grow these again.

Peppers.. man I am completely over run with chili/cayenne peppers. Every 3rd day the dehydrating was going full and still is. Dunno what to do with them all. Jalapeno and yellow peppers I stopped picking just too much. I left them on the plant for now. No time to get to them. Maybe this weekend. Peppers are still flowering good.

Basil, oregano parsley, and other herbs I cut them all out and dehydrated them. Twice. I chucked the lettuce. Strawberries are calming down now. Only the odd flower.

Yeah.. strawberries... these are in a hanging basket and I guess will die over winter. Do people plant these? Bring them in? Or toss them?

Catnip... way more than enough for winter. Gave a lot a way. People say they never saw their cats have such a strong reaction to it before, and even from cats who never bothered with it before. Guess the fresh stuff beats out store bought any day.

Brussels sprouts are still going good. None of those worms people told me of. At least, not yet. Though they don't look all pretty like in the store.

So that's my loot, and more coming.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 24, 2012 11:32 am

Did you ever take pictures of your vegetables? I'd like to see evidence of this miracle patch aka your garden! :lol:
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Aug 24, 2012 11:48 am

Toms_to_do.jpg

These are the ones I washed last night. Still have more sitting around the sink waiting to be washed.

Then I'll have to pick more later today that are ready.

Want me to open up containers of dehydrated peppers and also include a pic of the freezer?

No exaggeration in the above post. I am putting the great yields on the triple mix I trucked in. couple of neighbours next to me are now all going to get some for next season as well and asked me to truck it in and they just take it when it's dumped in my driveway.

See what proper chemical balance does? I do not add magnesium just because while rubbing a crystal ball. Chemistry. Not Voodoo does the job.

EDIT:
The 2 white strainers alone are about 23-lb + more not in the picture...

EDIT 2:
I walked in this forum a complete newb and knowing nutting. I still know nuttin, but... my voodoo appears to be better than your experienced voodoo ;) Nyah-Nyah. :p
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Aug 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Can I see your patch now?
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Aug 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Tomatoes can be frozen whole in the skins. When you want to use them throw them in a sink of hot water and slip the skins off and then thaw in a bowl over night, drain and add to your sauces. Peppers can be chopped and frozen to use in sauces over the winter as well.

Donate extra food to the local food bank, seniors home, group home or if it's something like cukes or carrots that can be used as a snack take them to a daycare. They will use them in baking or afternoon snack for the kids.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Aug 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah the peppers I have now I'm freezing. Have way more than enough dried ones.

I didn't know you could freeze tomatoes. Not sure if I even have the room in the freezer for these. likely not.

I was going to can these whole or diced. Is freezing better?

And another question:

When canning these marzano plum types, do you want to keep only the flesh and remove all the goo along with the seeds? Or do you keep the goo?

When I open a store bought can, I see no seeds or goo. Just watery tomato juice and a tomato that must have been sliced on one side and all it's insides removed.

What do you guys/gals do?
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Aug 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Freezing is EASIER not necessarily better. I've never canned tomatoes before, I think in general the seeds are removed but somebody else will probably be able to answer that better than I.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Aug 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Freezing is easier, although I did end up buying an extra cheap fridge/freezer to accommodate the extra frozen tomatoes, (and also apples)!!!
I've learned though that I would rather spend the time before freezing to remove the skins! Easy enough, bring water to boil, add whole toms in batches after putting a X on the stem end, for about a minute or so and then plunge into icy water. The skins peel off easily. I then freeze the toms whole, (don't remove the innards - tasty!), and also pop in with them a nice handful of basil, as individual portions, (probably about 6 - 8 toms in each bag). In the dead of winter it's then easy to pull out a bag, don't even unfreeze them, but saute a diced onion, garlic, and then empty out the frozen toms and basil from the bag into the saute pan, add a little stock and leave it on a low flame with a lid on. They soon defrost, and then you can take off the lid smash them up a bit, reduce them, add s & p, a good pinch of dried chili flakes if you like, and then a bit more fresh basil at the end . Voila! Gorgeous simple authentic Italian tomato sauce! laf! It is good!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

I haven't canned tomatoes in years, only salsa these days. My recipe for canned tomatoes called for canned tomato juice in addition to the tomatoes.

Marc, I think it would be a good idea for you to can them...you aren't afraid of using the hot water bath canning method, which is the only one I'd use for doing tomatoes. You can skin them and when you cut them in half, you can get rid of some of the seeds...it's not a big deal unless you are really picky about having seeds in your sauce. Canning would free up freezer space and I actually think the canned tomatoes have a better taste and texture. I can look a recipe if you can't find a suitable one.

I want to see your garden pictures Marc, not just your hoard of produce, although that mountain of tomatoes is certainly an awesome sight. I would love to find a source of well-rotted manure or triple mix. It's kind of risky because you never know if the stuff is full of weed seeds, and it's so expensive to get delivered these days.
DonnaZn2SK

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening