Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Had to replant Potatoes, will the be ok?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Had to replant Potatoes, will the be ok?

Postby Jacobh » Jun 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey everyone,

So, this is my first post on this forum, hopefully someone here can give me some pointers and also let me know whether or not I'm screwed.

So, I planted potatoes for the first time about a month ago. I honestly did not know what I was really doing, and only read up on how to grow potatoes 2-3 weeks after I planted them. I grew them from potato seed that I had bought at a garden store. The potatoes had been growing great, had actually grown to about a foot tall. Then I realized that if I were to mound/hill these potatoes I would have WAY too much dirt piled up on my front lawn at the end of the summer that I really don't want to have to deal with.

My solution was this was to carefully dig them up and transplant them into trenches. So, now about 70% of the plant has been buried in dirt.

Will my potatoes be ok? They look strong and healthy...but I am not sure if they will survive the transplant into the trenches.
Jacobh

Re: Had to replant Potatoes, will the be ok?

Postby Eeyore » Jun 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi jacob and welcome!

The only way you'll really know is to keep an eye on them. If they are looking strong and healthy right now then they will probably be OK.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening