Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Cucumber. What to do with them?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Cucumber. What to do with them?

Postby Dumbo » Jul 08, 2012 4:12 am

Any tips on what to do with a bunch of cucumbers? Have about a dozen picked today, along with 8 from a couple of days ago.

Aside from relish :p
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: Cucumber. What to do with them?

Postby B_BQ » Jul 08, 2012 8:04 am

That's a tough question Marc.

Cukes don't keep that long, and I certainly don't know a way of preserving them for more than a couple of days.

Sunday 'tea' at my house in England there was almost always sliced English cucumber covered in malt vinegar. That would go in one meal though.

Cuke Sammies: Bread, crusts removed, cream cheese, sliced cucumber, (or just sliced cucumber, lightly salted, on buttered bread)

Cuke Soup; Tzatziki Sauce; (easy enough to google)

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Mervyn » Jul 08, 2012 11:55 am

Gazpacho :)

Fresh dill is also nice with cucumber sandwiches :)
Mervyn

Postby Dumbo » Jul 08, 2012 2:21 pm

So in other words, next year I shouldn't be a dummy and plant 30 of these and instead maybe 2 or 3. ok I gotcha.

Now to try and unload them to the next door neighbours.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 08, 2012 2:48 pm

Dumbo wrote:Now to try and unload them to the next door neighbours.

And their next-door-neighbours - and their next-door-neighbours!! lol Go on, make a lot of friends!

First year we came to live in Ontario, (from Newfoundland), I planted four, (yes only four), zucchini plants, just praying that I would get a zucchini. Never did get one in Newfoundland. All plants were looking great before we took off for just over a week to visit friends in Rhode Island. Imagine my horror when we got back to find that I was overun with zucchini. Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head ones!!! lol

I made bread, muffins, sauteed them, ate them raw with a little lemon juice and black pepper, put them in soups, stews, casseroles, salads, and even contemplated putting up a stand at the roadside!!

Two plants is my limit now.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jul 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Got rid of 4 on a guy next door.
Wife gave a few away.
4 left in the fridge and more ready to come off the vines again.

Guess I'll go on a cucumber diet, or wait till have i another 16 and make a pool party and only serve pickles and cucumbers. :p
The small Lebanese ones tend to go fast with the women I find. Seems to be their preferred finger food.

Yeah I have zukes as well. 4 plants only.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Marc,

Did you look up that recipe for fridge pickles? They are the sweet ones and you can use up a lot of cukes on that recipe, especially the larger ones. There are lots of recipes for cucumber salad...check online.

Tzatziki dip will use up a couple. You can use one or two when making sushi (California roll, anyway).

I love grilled zucchini, and I have a recipe for zucchini soup that is simple and delicious. My children hate zucchini baked into cake...they actually try to pick out the little green pieces, what a bunch of clodheads. The important thing about zucchini is not to let it get too big (Brenda learned the hard way, lol).
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 08, 2012 6:04 pm

I take my extras to an apartment complex for seniors....don't take long...all the goodies are gone!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Dumbo » Jul 08, 2012 6:08 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Did you look up that recipe for fridge pickles? They are the sweet ones and you can use up a lot of cukes on that recipe, especially the larger ones.

I did see that when looking up issues with pickles. But I thought that was for pickles only and not long cukes?

Will check it out again this time for cukes and see what I find.

DonnaZn2SK wrote:There are lots of recipes for cucumber salad...check online.

eh, I can only eat so much salad. Macaroni, chicken and cuke. It's good, but uses only two cukes. Can't eat this everyday.

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Tzatziki dip will use up a couple. You can use one or two when making sushi (California roll, anyway).

I like Tzatziki, pretty sure at least one kid will as well. Will give this one a shot. Have a recipe you know that works? I'm hesitant to use internet recipes.

DonnaZn2SK wrote:I love grilled zucchini, and I have a recipe for zucchini soup that is simple and delicious. My children hate zucchini baked into cake...they actually try to pick out the little green pieces, what a bunch of clodheads. The important thing about zucchini is not to let it get too big (Brenda learned the hard way, lol).

Yup, the better half does a zuke chicken soup. It's ok. Have to get the zukes when they are small. I've had someone give me zuke bread before. I liked it. Guess this would be freezable.

It's not that your kids don't like zuke, Donna, it's your cooking. Who knows what those little green booger like looking things could be when you're in the kitchen ;)

My zukes aren't out yet. I pulled up turnips today which were ready, well 25% of them were.

So picked and pickable to date:
Cukes
Pickles (These two plants have vines an easy 7-feet high)
Turnip
Basil
Oregano
Dill
Some other spices which I forgot to label.
Snow pea's (I give this 2-3 more days till picking time)
Radish is long gone, second batch coming up.

Tomatoes are still green
Pea's are out but not ready. Not sure how to tell when they are ready. I expect them to be big and plump)
No bush beans out yet.

Just stumped on what to do with the cukes.
Tzatziki,will try.
Cuke salad
Cuke pickles I'll have to look into. But I think I have enough pickles in my fridge at the moment.

Give me your zuke-soup recipe and I'll give you mine.

I never grilled zuke before. What do you do? Brush it and slap it on for a minute?

EDIT:
Mygrandmeresgarden wrote:I take my extras to an apartment complex for seniors....don't take long...all the goodies are gone!

Do you? The guy next door was telling me that these food banks for the poor will take garden veggies. I'll have to locate where these are and call them and ask.

I can't see myself walking into an old age complex and asking which one of you want my pickles. I'd be too shy for that.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 08, 2012 6:24 pm

Dumbo wrote:I never grilled zuke before. What do you do? Brush it and slap it on for a minute?

Yes, Marc. Slice them lengthwise, about half an inch thick, brush each with a little olive oil, s&p, and grill on the barbee or in the grill pan, just till grill marks.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening