Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Racoon Invasion

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Racoon Invasion

Postby willymethis » Jul 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi.

I live in a village near Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario.

Racoons have invaded my yard and Garden. Last year they devastated the corn just before it was ripe. This year, they're being impatient, cutting the plants down to check for cobs. They've dug up all my chives and garlic. The 3 foot fence I put up to keep the bunnies out doesn't even slow them down.

Worse yet, they're multiplying. Last year there were 3. This year I've counted at least 8.

I live in paranoid fear every night that they're ravaging my crops.

What can I use to repel them? Will moth balls work? Pepper? Napalm?

I've tried using a trap to catch and relocate them, but the squirrels steal the bait and the racoons disdain it, preferring to snack in my garden.

I need help. Between the coons and the squirrels, I'm almost ready to give up and pack the garden in.

Thanks.

willy
Elora ON
willymethis

Re: Racoon Invasion

Postby Eeyore » Jul 11, 2012 11:17 pm

A quick search of the internet came up with motion activated flood lights or maybe motion activated sprinklers to deter the pests.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » Jul 11, 2012 11:44 pm

Electric fencer, You could couple it with motion sensing sprinkler , but they quickly adapt to the sprinkler.. A fender with wires at at least 3 levels to keep them from hopping over it does a very good job on them and any other 4 footed garden raiders. Just remember to turn it off before you touch it , or you will get a quick reminder.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby willymethis » Jul 12, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've thought about the electric fence idea, but I have 3 young children 2, 3, and 5, so my wife is strongly opposed to that idea. I've tried to tell her that it won't hurt them and they'll only touch it once, but it's not flying.

They sell coyote urine type spray online, and i guess that might work for both my current pests, but I'm not keen to spend based on faith.

On the bright side, when the skunk living under the neighbour's deck comes over for a visit, the raccoons leave, lol.

w
willymethis

Postby Eeyore » Jul 12, 2012 11:26 am

The electric fence is actually a good idea and if it is only activated at night the children would be in bed. A 3 and 5 year old would understand no to touch the fence and a 2 year old would quickly understand that he isn't to go near the fence without an adult present.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby OGrubber » Jul 13, 2012 11:12 am

I'm with Lyn. The fence need only be charged from dusk until dawn which is when the children would be in bed.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby willymethis » Jul 13, 2012 6:32 pm

Think I'll try the electric fence route. Thanks for your help. =)
willymethis

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening