Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Mr.Fothergil's Kentucky Wonder Wax pole bean

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Mr.Fothergil's Kentucky Wonder Wax pole bean

Postby pgamalo » Jul 16, 2012 10:53 am

We planted this variety at the end of may.They have just taken off as the pictures show.They are now over 6 feet and trying to go further.
My question is this...When can we expect flowers to appear?????
I water regularly in the morning.We have had about 15 days of plus 30 degrees with no end in site...

Thanx for any answers

Phil in Gatineau
Attachments
100_4687.jpg
100_4686.jpg
pgamalo

Re: Mr.Fothergil's Kentucky Wonder Wax pole bean

Postby Dumbo » Jul 16, 2012 11:52 am

When did you plant them?

I planted during Victoria day long weekend (Fête de Dollard, if you prefer) My beans, all of them, have given me my first harvest yesterday (except for the pea's, not plump enough yet). Wax (kentuky wonder Green and Yellow), Pois mange tout, and Banga (French).

I only grew the bush variety's this year though, not a pole variety.

However, the Sugar Snap beans are 5-feet high, maybe 6, and the were ready and picked.

So maybe, depending when you planted, it may be a week or two.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Pole beans take longer to produce than bush varieties, from what I understand. Have you given it any fertilizer? Make sure it's not one high in nitrogen (ie lawn fertilizer) because you will get lots of green at the expense of fruiting.

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage, the plants look really healthy.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 16, 2012 4:12 pm

^^^ what they said ^^^^

Nice looking garden for the beans, pgamelo. The posts around the garden are painted a great colour too. Love the shot of a bright colour in your garden especially since it is only green right now.

Welcome to our forum. Hope you stick around.

*smile*

CdnChelsea

Postby pgamalo » Jul 17, 2012 10:50 am

I planted in late may.Thanx for the replies....

pgamalo
pgamalo

Postby pgamalo » Jul 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Finally my patience has paid off.I noticed some flowers today.Will wait a few days and will post updated pictures.

Phil in Buckingham
pgamalo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Once they start, good luck keeping up. ;)
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby pgamalo » Jul 28, 2012 11:25 am

Updated pictures.Lots of flowers now coming out everywere.We plan on freezing some of the harvest for future consumption this winter.
Appreciate any tips on that procedure...
Phil in Buckingham
Attachments
100_4718.jpg
100_4719.jpg
100_4720.jpg
pgamalo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 28, 2012 2:23 pm

pgamalo wrote:Appreciate any tips on that procedure...

Green, yellow, Snow, and Sugar snap Beans and peas:

1. Wash and cut ends, as applicable.

2. Bring a pot of water to boiling (no salt).

3. Drop in the beans for 2 minutes total. Start timer as soon as it hits the water.

4. In a clean sink or pot, have ice water ready (if you have lots of beans, toss some water in a tupperware container the night before to make sure you have enough ice. Little cubes will melt fast).

5. Drain, then toss hot beans in the cold water. Only remove the beans when they are cold. About 4-5 minutes. Here you want to stop the cooking/heat as fast as possible to prevent the beans from over-cooking and getting way too soft.

6. Drain then pat dry to remove excess water (between paper towels or dish towels or similar)

7. Spread out on a large cookie sheet and toss in freezer for about 2-3 hours. Let them freeze.

9. When frozen, toss them in a zip-lock bag or similar (give the cookie sheet a small tap on a counter for all the beans to come loose). Remove as much air from the ziplock bag as possible.

10. Refill the empty wine glass ;)

So in summary:
Blanche 2-min, cold water bath ~4-5 min, drain, freeze, bag.

Beans do get a little soft with frozen storage (what you buy in supermarkets are flash frozen, so it's a bit crisper), but they are good.

Snow peas get very soft I find (not terribly soft, but soft enough), so I toss those in stews or similar. I read Sugar snap are the same and get soft and are better suited for stews after freezing.
Dumbo

Postby pgamalo » Aug 07, 2012 5:49 pm

I think the seed packages were wrong.Here are pictures of the beans coming out.As you can see,they are pretty big but none have turned yellow so far.
Not having that much experience,when do i give up on them turning yellow and satisfy myself with a BIG harvest of GREEN beans???ALL the flowers that came out and still coming out are white.
P.S. sorry for picture quality.....

Phil in Buckingham
Attachments
100_4723.jpg
100_4722.jpg
100_4721.jpg
pgamalo

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening