Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pickled Onion Receipt

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Pickled Onion Receipt

Postby kelly_m » Jul 28, 2012 7:24 am

For you dear darling dumbo....

Peel Pearl Onions....easiest way is to drop them in hot water....loosens the skin.

The recipe is based on I believe 10lbs onions...

1 cup coarse salt to 4 qts boiling water. Sit onions in brine for 3 days (mydeceased former inlaws used an actual crock for this!)

Pour off and do the same salt brine for 3 more days.

on 7th day, after rinsing onions, put them back in crock, add 2 tsp alum and cover with boiling water. Let stand till cool. Pour off water and pack in jars (approx 12 med jars for 10lbs onions.

Syrup
1 cup sugar to 1 gallon vinegar....boil. Pour over nottled onions and seal.

Let sit exactly 21 days

Then.....enjoy!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: Pickled Onion Receipt

Postby B_BQ » Jul 28, 2012 8:33 am

Oh Kelly, that seems like an awful lot of hard work! (Especially the peeling).
I don't use pearl onions either - too small and too difficult to peel. I use the small onions that come in a string bag, (grocery store), which are about the size of a med. strawberry. (They don't come cheap though, so I'm looking for another source).
I do brine them in a large crock bowl, but only for 24 hours.
I then use a mixture of malt vinegar and white vinegar, with pickling spices.
Never used sugar with pickled onions.
We start eating them in about 7 days. I still have a jar left from last year in the fridge. I tasted one the other day and they're still crisp and crunchy. (A limp and soggy pickled onion IMO is worse than a limp and soggy dill! lol)

I'm fully expecting others to jump in with THEIR own recipes - just like the dill recipes! But I stand firm on no sugar, malt & white vinegar, and they must be very crunchy. :roll:

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jul 28, 2012 3:41 pm

kelly_m wrote:Let sit exactly 21 days

Yikes!

Yeah a lot of the older recipes are the best there is, but it's all fermentation stuff. I don't think I have the patience for that.

I was looking over some recipes and found some with pickles/cukes, pickling onions and hot peppers. I may just toss them in like that and see what I end up with. Maybe next year I'll grow more than the one package I did. Really does take a few packs of seeds for this.

Guess I'll back off on this one till next year. But if anyone has a recipe to share, I'll take it!

Today I am finishing off a yellow mustard hotdog type relish. Had to get rid of over a dozen cukes.... Eeyore gave me the idea for this.

So:
+1 Eeyore for the mustard idea
+1 BBQ for bread recipe
+0.25 Kelly for trying
-10 to Donna for giving me tzatziki socks and crusty toes.

;)

B_BQ wrote:A limp and soggy pickled onion IMO is worse than a limp and soggy dill! lol

lol, don't get me started about the shriveled and soggy pearl onions to match the limp, shriveled and soft pickle. Nasty.... I never knew gardening could get so nasty...
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Kelly: I am embarrassed!!!!! I said no sugar. NOT TRUE! Sugar is used, but not very much. Grovelling here!

This is the recipe for the English Pickled Onions I made last year. I don't use all malt vinegar, but probably half malt and half white. I also didn't use quite that much sugar - probably 4-5 ozs rather than the full 6 ozs.

As you can see this is a pretty straightforward recipe that doesn't take too much time.

~BBQ

Prep Time 1 hour
Cook time 15 minutes
24 hours overnight soaking

2 1/4 lbs/1 kg pickling onions, peeled (see note below)
4 tsp pickling spices or
1/2 tsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp mustard seed, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes (I used pickling spices)
1 oz/27g salt
35 fl oz/1 litre malt vinegar, (I used approx 1/4 malt and 3/4 white)
6 oz/170g sugar

Note:
Peeling pickling onions is fiddly and time consuming. To speed up the process top and tail the onions, then place the onions in a large heatproof bowl and pour over boiling water to cover. Leave to cool and hey presto, the skins will just rub away. Do NOT leave in the water once cool or the onions will start to go mushy. Dry them with kitchen towel.

Sprinkle the salt over the peeled onions, stir and leave overnight. Next day (do not leave longer than overnight if you want your onions to be crisp) rinse the onions and dry with kitchen towel.

Place the spices, vinegar and sugar into a large stainless steel pan. Heat to dissolve the sugar but do not boil.

Pack the onions into clean, sterilized jars. Pour over the vinegar and spice liquid to fill the jars, make sure each jar has pickling spices in and check there are no air pockets. Seal the jars and leave to cool.

The onions will be ready to eat after about one month or better if kept for two. Once opened store in a refrigerator. (Note: We started eating ours in a week and they were good. Still good one year later.
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jul 28, 2012 5:30 pm

ty will bookmark this one!
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Jul 28, 2012 6:11 pm

I will have to try yours...though I woulde stay away from the herbs...I like the sweet and sour!

The alum apparently is to maintain the crunchiness, or that is what I was told.

All I know is these were the best pickled onions I have ever tasted.....

And Brenda...no worries! LOL As smitty calls it....CRAFT disease!!! :lol:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening