Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Just a newbie wanting to say hello!

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Just a newbie wanting to say hello!

Postby MattyBlanco » Aug 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Hey, I am new to this forum, and just wanted to say hello. I have some experience in growing trees and just got my first cactus.

So far I have grown an Avocado Tree until my cat finally killed it at my old place :(. There wasn't any room to put it that the cat couldn't get it. But now I have a couple spare rooms which I am using for my gardening but only using one now. I just recently planted 10 Lemon Seeds and 6 of them have shown themselves within 2 weeks so far and I also have planted some Ruby Grapefruit Seeds and am germinating a Mango Pit (which already had it's tap root out for me :D)

Anyways, just wanted to say hello and get started in this forum :D
Growing Fruit Trees is A LOT of fun!
http://mathewsfruittrees.blogspot.ca/
MattyBlanco

Re: Just a newbie wanting to say hello!

Postby B_BQ » Aug 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi there:
Welcome to the forum.
I remember growing an avocado pit many moons ago. I think I stuck toothpicks in it and suspended it atop a glass of water, topping up the water on a regular basis until roots started. I then planted it and it grew to about 4' high.
When I was a little one in school we used to regularly grow carrot tops, and mustard cress on blotting paper. I think I must have been interested in gardening even as a 10-year old.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby MattyBlanco » Aug 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for the reply B_BQ! That's how I grow my Avocado's, it's interesting to watch them that way :). They are very fast growers, it's unfortunate that my cat destroyed mine :(
MattyBlanco

Postby Dumbo » Aug 10, 2012 12:18 am

Welcome aboard Matty

There are one or two others here growing Lemons as well. Maybe they will have some tips for you.

So you are more the tree & cactus type person? Any veggie garden or other type of garden?

Cheers!
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 06, 2012 6:38 pm

MattyBlanco - you didn't actually get any Avacados did you? Did you have it indoors or ?? I can't imagine that one could grow Avacados in our Great White North!! LOL My brother just gave me a couple of Mandarin Orange plants - he started from seed. Guess we'll see where they go. No actually expecting any kind of fruit, just fun to grow.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby MattyBlanco » Jun 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Hey RubyTuesday49. No with my Avocado Tree I didn't get any Avocado's but that is mainly due to my not having it for overly long. My cat destroyed it unfortunately. The chances of Avocado's actually fruiting indoors in Canada is not very likely but you never know! It can take between 5-10 years before they will fruit indoors. I am currently germinating another Avocado pit right now and we'll see how that goes. You may have luck with your Mandarin Oranges if you keep them well. I would like to know how they are going. Do you have any pics? Sorry for the REALLY late reply but I haven't been on in a while and I just started growing my fruit trees again.
MattyBlanco

Postby Brice » Sep 05, 2013 3:45 am

Hello Everyone!

My name is Brice. I am new to this forum and just want to say thanks to the Admin for accepting me here. I hope to spend a good time with all of you. Thank you.
Brice

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening