Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Rattlesnake Pole Beans

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Rattlesnake Pole Beans

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 23, 2012 1:39 am

These are terrific. I haven't grown pole beans in years. I planted lots of bush beans, but they haven't been nearly as prolific as the pole beans. The Rattlesnake beans have a streaky pattern which makes it easier for picking, although it turns to green when cooked. I still prefer the taste of the regular green beans, but I will always grow some pole beans to extend the season. These plants are easily 8-9 feet tall right now. :shock:
DonnaZn2SK

Re: Rattlesnake Pole Beans

Postby Dumbo » Aug 23, 2012 5:18 am

I'm not sure about this particular type of vining bean, but the mother-in-law swears the vine types are less fibrous and tastier.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Jersm » Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm

it would be nice to see some pictures :D

i have sugar snaps and they are kind of meaty and crunchy just like bush beans there is no need to de shell them.
Jersm

Postby hotsummerone » Aug 23, 2012 10:10 pm

The vine types are less fibrous and tastier.this statement is not true, may be your cooking incorrect, or you do not like the taste of it.
hotsummerone

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 24, 2012 4:49 pm

These pole beans are a bit more tender than the regular green ones I usually grow, but for the amount of beans I am pulling off these plants compared to the bush ones, I'm not going to complain.

Here are some pictures of them:
Attachments
rattlesnake beans.jpg
closeupbeans.jpg
beans.jpg
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Aug 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Oh! I used to grow those. Seeds were given to me by next-door-neighbour, a Chinese scientist. They were wonderful. So prolific. When they were cooked they lost all the colour and went green. They were great tasting.
I think I have some seeds left over, but they're years old so probably won't grow now. But I may give them a go next year.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Aug 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Ar there any yellow pole beans? We prefer yellow over green.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Heidi S » Aug 25, 2012 2:18 pm

My all time, favourite bean is still the old fashioned scarlet runner, picked early so it is not woody. The texture and taste is superb in my opinion. Of course I grow other types too, because runner beans are very late developing in my cool night climate, and we dance a merry jig around the issue of mid August frosts every summer.

And, my crop is just doing wonderfully, or so my housesitter tells me - I am stuck in an old person's apartment in Burnaby (suburb of Vancouver for those who don't know) looking after my dear ol' Dad. Son and Hubby are on their way home today, and have promised to pick and use the various veggies, but I am still convinced I will get home to a sad mess sometime in the fall.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby B_BQ » Aug 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Scarlet Runner Beans are the best - I agree! These were what my Dad grew in his garden in England. Not only were the flowers spectacular but the beans, imo, are without equal. I've never had much success growing them on this side of the pond, but I might just give them another go.

I'm off to Merry Old England at the end of September for a couple of weeks, so I may pick up some seed packets there. (Hubby's University Graduation Class Reunion).

I have fond memories of sitting on the back step of the house with a pile of scarlet runners to top and tail for the pot, and also peas, just regular old peas, that were bursting at the seams. Such a satisfying 'pop' when you squeezed them just right. I think as many ended up eaten raw as were cooked! Yum! I still prefer raw peas to cooked.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby thistle » Nov 20, 2012 2:42 pm

:x I have tried many different types of Beans over the Years but they always seem to grow into huge flat Pods not the nice thin ones at the Grocery Store.Can anyone tell me the type of Bean I should be looking for? I tried Bush Beans this Year but plants got ravaged by some kind of Pest and were useless.
thistle

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening